Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   barrel length and full auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/barrel-length-full-auto-56594/)

GREGULON 01-29-2012 10:53 PM

barrel length and full auto

If I get my art class 3 will I be able to purchase short barrels and full auto rifles?

trip286 01-29-2012 11:02 PM

I believe you can purchase short barrels with a tax stamp, same as you can a suppressor.

C3 knows all about this stuff, I'll bet he'll come in shortly with some accurate info for you.

joehawk 02-01-2012 02:51 PM

I am told in NJ suppressors are illegal. Even with class III tax stamp

c3shooter 02-02-2012 03:15 AM

Greg- unless you are a dealer, YOU do not get a "class III license". To purchase a full auto, Short barreled rifle, or suppressor, you have it transferred through a Dealer in your home state that has the appropriate licenses. The transfer of ownership of THAT item is registered to you with the BATFE, and you pay the one time transfer tax on it.

In order to have it transferred to you, it must be legal in your state of residence. Some states do not permit full autos, suppressors, etc. New Jersey does not permit ownership of a suppressor.

Belltactical 02-02-2012 03:26 AM

You also may need approval from the chief LEO in your jurisdiction unless you do it through a gun trust.

Jstrong 02-02-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Greg- unless you are a dealer, YOU do not get a "class III license". To purchase a full auto, Short barreled rifle, or suppressor, you have it transferred through a Dealer in your home state that has the appropriate licenses. The transfer of ownership of THAT item is registered to you with the BATFE, and you pay the one time transfer tax on it.

In order to have it transferred to you, it must be legal in your state of residence. Some states do not permit full autos, suppressors, etc. New Jersey does not permit ownership of a suppressor.

So is ownership of a full auto just like getting a sbr or suppressor? Same $200 tax stamp except you have to have a class 3 to transfer it to you?

robocop10mm 02-02-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGULON (Post 693261)
If I get my art class 3 will I be able to purchase short barrels and full auto rifles?

Completing art class #III does not have anything to do with firearms ownership. JK. Presumably you mean a class III FFL. This is unessary for NFA item ownership. All NFA firearms are transferrable to an individual with the appropriate tax paid. Post 86 machineguns excepted. Many people confuse tax stamps with Class III licensure.

The full auto status trumps all other features. If you had, for instance, an M-16 A1, you could legally install a sub 16" barrel. It does not work the other way around. You cannot convert an SBR to full auto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstrong (Post 696914)
So is ownership of a full auto just like getting a sbr or suppressor? Same $200 tax stamp except you have to have a class 3 to transfer it to you?

In essence this is true.

Jstrong 02-02-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm

In essence this is true.

Let me guess,its a lot harder to sneak a machinegun through some atfs agents stack of paperwork when the reason for purchase is just for "schitsngiggles" than It would be to get a sbr or suppressor for the same reason.

c3shooter 02-02-2012 05:39 AM

Why would you think there is a "reason for purchase" on the transfer form?

I fear you may find that the price for a legal full auto that can be transferred to a private citizen may be breathtaking, tho. Since there is a finite supply of these (no new full autos) the price went through the roof. A legal M16 is around $16,000. :eek:

Jstrong 02-02-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Why would you think there is a "reason for purchase" on the transfer form?

I fear you may find that the price for a legal full auto that can be transferred to a private citizen may be breathtaking, tho. Since there is a finite supply of these (no new full autos) the price went through the roof. A legal M16 is around $16,000. :eek:

I assumed there would be a reason for purchase on the tax stamp application,I've heard about the details you have to put about the specific gun. Ex) intended caliber on a SBR. And that they were getting a lot more stringent with the answers,like that the answer "multi-caliber" to that example question when SBRing a AR Lower would no longer fly with the atf anymore. That you actually had to list all calibers of the uppers you planned on using with it.
That just led me to assume that they would ask what you wanted to use your new found sbr for.

And I know that just a plain Jane full auto AR or AK costs as much as a nice car due to the machinegun registry being closed. But hey.... a kid can dream right?