Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Background check fee, who gets the money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I just pay $20 for the transfer fee. I don't know if some of that is for NCIS or not. I know some places around here list a transfer fee, and a NCIS fee separately.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I know some places around here list a transfer fee, and a NCIS fee separately.
That's a load of crap... I'd stay away from any dealer who charges a transfer fee and a fee for the NICS check. I understand some states that do not use the federal system charge a fee but that should be inclusive to the transfer fee. For the states that do use the federal system there is no charge to the dealer. A few minutes on the phone or a few clicks of the mouse and it's done. This is included in the transfer fee.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Pa. is a "point of contact" state and runs the insta checks. It's a control thing. They charge $2 per check and an additional $3 surcharge for taxable sales which does not include FTF transfers for private sales. The PSP gets the $2 and surcharge for their services. The NICS does not charge for the service for those states that went the Federal route. Any fees beyond that stays with the dealer doing the transfer.

What I don't understand from the OP is why anything has to be faxed to ATF. The only forms that we have to send to ATF is the multiple sale of handguns form. We have a second form that has to be filled out for handgun sales, but this only goes to the PSP and the other tax related forms that pertain to special sales circumstances may go the Fed. The 4473 stays with the FFL until he closes up business for good. Federal regulations don't vary from state to state. Only the individual state laws do that. Maybe we can get a bit of clarification here as I'm confused.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't get that either. And an hour wait? Background checks shouldn't take but a few minutes. The OP is certainly a non licensee. I suspect he's being told things by his FFL that just 'aint so. Some FFL's keep things a big mystery when they "go behind the curtain" to make the call or go online.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #15

Likes Given: 13

No fee here in georgia either, however some stores here will charge a small fee, most likely to deter people from wasting their time if they arent a serious buyer. consider the fact that by the time youve handed them the form looked over it call it in and recieve an answer you've spent about 10 min or so on it if you have a few non serious buyers just wanting to do the paperwork add it up over the period of a year that could be alot of employee payroll hours tied up on no sales

Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #16

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've never paid for anything but the cost of the gun and sales tax here in KS.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 202 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I am not an FFL holder and i didn't say i was. Well that's how it is in Nevada. Some other states maybe charge less or even nothing for background check fee. Maybe i was wrong, maybe not fax, it could be the FFL call the ATF about the purchaser information and get notified whether is a approval or a rejection.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #18

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

My FFL dealer doesnt figure in a fee for a new purchase from him however the transfer he charges me $7 if I have one sent to him . I would gladly pay $20 to help keep him in business , He treats me well has better than great prices and I figure he has to pay for his FFL every yr. $25 is not out of line I have heard up to $40 which I think is a bit on the greedy side but they have to put food on the table also .
My stuff never goes thru on the phone call , Too high profile I guess. LOL JK . I do work in the chemical industry and I have to be finger printed every so often , maybe Im on a list of quick checks before approval

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-19-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #19

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
My FFL dealer doesnt figure in a fee for a new purchase from him however the transfer he charges me $7 if I have one sent to him . I would gladly pay $20 to help keep him in business , He treats me well has better than great prices and I figure he has to pay for his FFL every yr. $25 is not out of line I have heard up to $40 which I think is a bit on the greedy side but they have to put food on the table also .
My stuff never goes thru on the phone call , Too high profile I guess. LOL JK . I do work in the chemical industry and I have to be finger printed every so often , maybe Im on a list of quick checks before approval
Psh you think 40 is greedy? Most dealersim in So Cal got to around 100 for interstate transfers.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 202 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17
Psh you think 40 is greedy? Most dealersim in So Cal got to around 100 for interstate transfers.
Thats super freakin greedy!