Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Background check fee, who gets the money? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/background-check-fee-who-gets-money-66597/)

okdonk 06-18-2012 03:41 AM

Background check fee, who gets the money?

Happy fathers day folks! I've been wondering for quite some time about this background check fee thingy. I reside in Nevada, and we have to pay $25 background check fee each time we purchase a firearm. Some call it Brady check, FBI name check or NCIS check, or whatever it is. We pay $25, fill up the form, LGS fax it to ATF. An hour later or sometimes less, LGS receive a call back in regards of the decision. So who gets the money? I used to pay those fees before i got my CCW, as my CCW was issued after July'11. So free background check for me since then. I have no regrets paying it before. This is just a pure curiousity question, nothing else. I hope you FFL holders or LGS won't mind my question.
Thank you

Ranger-6 06-18-2012 04:46 AM

Sounds like another scam coming down the pipe.

kytowboater 06-18-2012 04:52 AM

I never payed for one in KY before my CCDW.....

okdonk 06-18-2012 04:53 AM

Yes some states don't require it.

kytowboater 06-18-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okdonk
Yes some states don't require it.

Maybe the shop uses the money to pay for the check??

RufusTFirefly 06-18-2012 05:23 AM

No fee in Arizona. Sounds like a ripoff...

danf_fl 06-18-2012 09:49 AM

I charge $20 for a transfer and background check.

$5 goes to the Florida Departement of Law Enforcement.
The other $15 goes to me for my expenses (Faxing my FFL for the firearm being transferred, renewal fees for licenses, insurance, phone, etc...)

Now before someone get riled, I put that $15 into an account and as the renewals come up, they get paid. Every little bit helps.

That is my situation, other FFL holders have more expenses than I do.

okdonk 06-18-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
I charge $20 for a transfer and background check.

$5 goes to the Florida Departement of Law Enforcement.
The other $15 goes to me for my expenses (Faxing my FFL for the firearm being transferred, renewal fees for licenses, insurance, phone, etc...)

Now before someone get riled, I put that $15 into an account and as the renewals come up, they get paid. Every little bit helps.

That is my situation, other FFL holders have more expenses than I do.

Thats what i thought. Thats reasonable and i said i have no regrets paying it. Law abiding citizen i should say ;)

c3shooter 06-18-2012 03:41 PM

Here in VA there is a charge of $2-3 for a dealer to do the background check (ours is thru VA state police) That is what the dealer is charged by the state, and charge is passed on to the customer- no sales tax on the charge.

Axxe55 06-18-2012 04:12 PM

in Texas they either don't charge a fee for a background check, or if they do, they must just factor it into the price of the gun. not for sure. when i buy one, i fell out the 4473 form, they call it in, 5-15 minutes later i pay for the gun, and that's it.