Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > background check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default background check

so I passed the state background check and got my foid, I am having a gun sent to my ffl and hope I pass that check as well. I recieved a misdemeanor weed charge when I was 17. Just want some comforting since I already paid for the gun already. I mean if I passed the Illinois state police check then I should definitly be able to pass this one right?

Thanks for your guys help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hmmmm. I guess it depends on what level the state check went to in looking into your past.

The FFL is going to have to go through the Federal check and we have seen people get denied for a lot less, but we have also seen people get approved who you just KNOW had "wild" younger days.

Assuming that "when you were 17" was many years of upstanding citizenry, paying taxes and behaving ones self ago, I would say you have a pretty good chance of passing.

Good luck.

JD

Old 10-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Dude I was charged with Malicious mischief and vandalism when I was a teen, all is well now. Don't worry about it.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Not going to go well if they are reading this post!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by getem2011 View Post
charge when I was 17.
I'd imagine you'll be fine.

But I'd guess that it would better for you if "when you were 17" was decades ago, rather than a few summers ago. I had a stupid mis-step when I was 17. I'm 36 now, and it's never been a hinderance because fortunately I pulled my head outta my butt just before I turned 18.

Heck, I'm now employed by the local school system...and charged with shaping impressionable young minds.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:47 AM   #6

Yeah I think it would have to be something real major as a juve to hold you back as an adult.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also take into consideration, were you charged or convicted? Being charged usually wont have any effect when it comes to misdemeanors. If you were convicted.. it may be looked at.

I was charged with 2 felonies and 2 misdemeanors when i was 15 for trespassing, destruction of private property, criminal mischief and breaking and entering (broke into an old abandoned warehouse and broke some Windows). Thankfully I was never convicted. It never showed on my record. It was about 10 years afterwards when i applied for my first firearm.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 10-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Also take into consideration, were you charged or convicted? Being charged usually wont have any effect when it comes to misdemeanors. If you were convicted.. it may be looked at.

I was charged with 2 felonies and 2 misdemeanors when i was 15 for trespassing, destruction of private property, criminal mischief and breaking and entering (broke into an old abandoned warehouse and broke some Windows). Thankfully I was never convicted. It never showed on my record. It was about 10 years afterwards when i applied for my first firearm.
Wow, that's a lot like what I did, and what I was charged with. Except it was an out-of-towner's hunting cabin. The bastard was hunting on the property line, and when my dog chased off a deer, he shot my dog. So as soon as he left town, I completely trashed his cabin. I broke everything in there, all that was left that was any good was the structure itself. The investigator asked my why I bothered to put the fire out that I accidentally started, it was simply because I knew I would get caught and didn't want to be charged with arson.

The guy turned out to be pretty cool about it, when I paid for the damages he just happened to have a Catahoula Cur that needed a good home. Just like the one he shot.

I was about the same age too, 14-15