Automatic Weapons Question - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Automatic Weapons Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun shorty View Post
Not unless you rgrandfather registered them during the 1968 Gun Cintrol Act which was essentially anmnesty for ownners of auto firearms
Most were War bring backs at that ime.If you did not register your auto weapon then abnd kept the gun, it is illegal to ownn or transfer
There is no way to get around this 1960 GCA.No way to make a bring back ful auto legal now,
Best advice if you want to keep the gun in the family , convert it to semi auto.This is an old and ngoing Class 3 argument, but there is no way to make an auto legal if not registered during the 1968 GCA
No to be confused with today's process by the NFA re Class 3 weapons.
Once a machine gun, always a machine gun. If you were to convert it to semiauto, which can be very difficult for an open bolt gun, it is still worth 10 years without parole in a Federal penitentiary.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #22

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I keep hearing a lot of people saying that we should be allowed to own any firearm, including full autos. I disagree. I would love to own one without going through a ton of paperwork and a waiting period, but some people aren't responsible enough to own a fully automatic firearm. It's bad enough the liberals think the average joe can walk into the LGS and walk out with a machine gun and a grenade launcher.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Giz- you are entitled to your opinion. Here is mine.

I have shot a LOT of full auto over the years. It is of very limited use, even in a military setting. Of the LEGAL full auto firearms in the US since 1934, I am aware of ONE murder committed with any of them. That happened to have been a police officer that murdered his wife.

As far as responsibility goes, there are millions of young men and women that have been trained to use full auto firearms while members of the US Armed Forces- and we have 20 year old youngsters right now that are watch standers on nuclear guided missle subs- forget about M240s and M16s!

Most responsible group of young folks you would ever meet. Why would taking off the uniform make them less responsible?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #24
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

I have shot a LOT of full auto over the years. It is of very limited use, even in a military setting. Of the LEGAL full auto firearms in the US since 1934, I am aware of ONE murder committed with any of them. That happened to have been a police officer that murdered his wife.

As far as responsibility goes, there are millions of young men and women that have been trained to use full auto firearms while members of the US Armed Forces- and we have 20 year old youngsters right now that are watch standers on nuclear guided missle subs- forget about M240s and M16s!

Most responsible group of young folks you would ever meet. Why would taking off the uniform make them less responsible?
I agree with this and will add what makes Leos more responsible or qualified to have them?

I don't need No stinking signature.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default Class 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
Once a machine gun, always a machine gun. If you were to convert it to semiauto, which can be very difficult for an open bolt gun, it is still worth 10 years without parole in a Federal penitentiary.
Admittedly, after a bit of research,
You are correct as I have never had anyone tell me or anyone else a definitive way to make a non registered 1968 GCA MG legal to own or transfer
There is no way.!None at all.Period.
I am an SOT/FFL and believe me, NONE of us have all the answers which is why i retain a firearms attorney for answers to these type of questions.
I talk to the NFA often and in most cases, they don't even know the answers.
But you are correct..any unregistered MG in anyone's possession illegally is a mandatory 10 years and $100K
If your state allows it, and you want to own a legal MG or suppressor or AOW (Any Other Weapon, i.e. short barrelled shotgun, like a Serbu) visit your local FFL/SOT and have him guide you through the application process as it is not difficult or oppressive to complete a Form 4 for application to own an automatic or suppressor.$200 tax stamp for MG's and suppressors and $5 for an AOW
Waiting time for NFA approval of a Form 4 is approaching 8-10 months on average.

Last edited by sixgun shorty; 03-23-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

No, I'm not against having them, at all! I would love to own one myself, if they weren't so expensive. I'm saying that some people are barely responsible with the firearms we are entitled to now, and (as it is now) one whack job will screw it up for everyone. Criminals have and will continue getting their hands on automatic firearms, no matter what laws are passed. I kinda take back what I said, cause I didn't really phrase it how I intended for it to sound.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Giz- no harm, no foul.

Shorty- the ONLY exception that I know of- there are some museums that are military affiliated (such as the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, GA) that MAY be able to accept one under the military/ LEO exception-

OR- after a cutting torch has cut the receiver into 3 or more pieces, or it has been melted into a solid lump of metal. The seems to be what the BATFE requires for demilling of a full auto now days.

And you got it- the lawyer is a damned good idea.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Giz- no harm, no foul.

Shorty- the ONLY exception that I know of- there are some museums that are military affiliated (such as the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, GA) that MAY be able to accept one under the military/ LEO exception-

OR- after a cutting torch has cut the receiver into 3 or more pieces, or it has been melted into a solid lump of metal. The seems to be what the BATFE requires for demilling of a full auto now days.

Actually, there are very few attorneys that devote their entire practice to Firearms Law but there are some good ones.The firearms attorney i use is in Dayton,Ohio, and is excellent and a valuable resource to any FFL/SOT Holder.Particularly if you want to execute an NFA Trust, which is really the BEST way to apply for and legally own any Class III or AOW firearm, especially if you are concerned with passing the NFA item down to your heirs without need for further registration...you merely name your heirs as either Co-Trustees or Beneficiaries, and you do not need Pictures, fingerprint cards or a Chief LEO sign off on your Form 4.Make the process 75% simpler and of way more value as a family heirloom to pass down to future generations.

Obviously, as museums own many automatic weapons, there is a legal process for legitimate museums to own pre or post 1934 or 1968 GCA Class III NFA firearms rules and regs.
You are right though..cutting them into 3 or more pieces, melting them down, crushing , is really the only sane and legal means.I'm not even sure now about dewats(rendering an automatic weapon, cannon, etc inoperable and incapable of ever being restored to firing condition ) being legal or not.They used to be.I'll have to ask my attorney, then post the correct answer.

Last edited by sixgun shorty; 03-23-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Giz- no harm, no foul.

You can have full auto blank guns. But they're just blanks. Really no use unless you are into film making, and the blanks are higher priced than real ammo.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #30

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you can't be trusted with an automatic weapon, why would we trust you with any firearm??? The automatic mode of fire is just a technological advance from semi auto. Just like the trap door was an advance over muzzle loading and semi auto was an advance over bolt action. No one tried to ban trap doors, bolt action, or(until recent times) semi auto. There is not ONE good reason I shouldn't be allowed to own the most recent firearms technology.