Auto sear legal to own? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Auto sear legal to own?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10429 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

UNLESS you have a receiver OR a "registered sear" that was ALREADY registered with the BATFE by May 1986, you CANNOT covert a semi to a full auto. In ANY state. It is a violation of Federal law.

ONLY the full autos that are ALREADy registered CAN be transferred to, or owned by a private citizen.

If I take a standard semi auto, and convert it to fire full auto, I am considered to have "manufactured" a machine gun. Unless I am a licensed machine gun manufacturer, I just committed a Federal Felony good for 10 years and $10,000.

BAD idea.
People Like This 
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
U would have to do ur research. IL no way they wont even issue the stamp. unless its for a police dept. It varies from state to state. Lots of rules. Lots of time and money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
If it is legal in your state to own full auto weapons,and the sear is one that was registered by the 1986 weapons deadline,then yes,you could put it in your lower.But I believe you would have to have the lower marked (Selective Fire)for it to be legal.
I have a friend that has 2 full auto converted AR's,he bought the auto sear kits back in the 1980's,and did all of the legal stuff thru a local Class 3 dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Have you ever seen the inside of a full auto AR lower? The cutouts are a bit more "open" than in a standard civilian lower for clearances of said "auto toys".

I asked if I could post pictures of the two side by side at one point and it was discussed. As the pictures are not here, I think you can figure out what the concsensus was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
UNLESS you have a receiver OR a "registered sear" that was ALREADY registered with the BATFE by May 1986, you CANNOT covert a semi to a full auto. In ANY state. It is a violation of Federal law.

ONLY the full autos that are ALREADy registered CAN be transferred to, or owned by a private citizen.

If I take a standard semi auto, and convert it to fire full auto, I am considered to have "manufactured" a machine gun. Unless I am a licensed machine gun manufacturer, I just committed a Federal Felony good for 10 years and $10,000.

BAD idea.
I don't really have any intentions of owning a full auto (don't care for the ammo bill), I was just wondering if doing that could actually be legal.

So Someone could not take an everyday AR-15, and put a LEGAL auto sear in it because 1. it won't fit, and 2. it is considered manufacturing a machine gun? Just trying to make sure I understand.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10429 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

1. ALL of the fire control parts needed to make a rifle full auto will not fit in a standard AR 15.

2. If you DID make them fit, you have illegally manufactured a machine gun.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #24

Liked 127 Times on 90 Posts

do the little auto sears even HAVE ID numbers on them? that's an awfully tiny little piece to put a unique serial number on it that could have been registered with the feds.

Besides, as said, if you put it into a standard AR, that's manufacturing. I would imagine that said auto-sear would have to go into a receiver that was already registered.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383
do the little auto sears even HAVE ID numbers on them? that's an awfully tiny little piece to put a unique serial number on it that could have been registered with the feds.

Besides, as said, if you put it into a standard AR, that's manufacturing. I would imagine that said auto-sear would have to go into a receiver that was already registered.
I don't really have the answer to that question but I can tell you they have the technology to put a 3 part code on the tip of a firing pin that requires an electron microscope to see. If that tells you anything.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3279 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker17 View Post
like 100.00
For $100 I would bet it is an ATF undercover operation. Run away!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #27

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

At $100 it is probably not a drop in auto sear it is probably standard M16 Full auto parts. Those parts can be legally purchased as replacement parts by soomeone who already had a registered machinegun from before 1986 and has the paperwork to show that he has teh weapon already in his legal possession. Bushmaster and many companies sell these parts, and usually for less than $100. But you must provide a copy of your tax stamp to them before they will sell them to you.

Drop in auto sears were made before 1986 that are transferable and will make your AR 15 into a Full auto without further modification. These are registered parts, and there was only a limited supply of these that are transferable. They still require teh ATF application, tax stamp, and other legal hoops to be jumped through prior to buying one. I don't think I've seen one for sale for less than $5000 and that was many years ago. Probably a lot more money now.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #28

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drop in auto sears for the AR platforms today go for over $10,000 each.

The sear is considered a registered machine gun. With proper machining and additional Full auto parts, you can legally take semi auto AR15 and convert it to a full auto M16. This assumes that the sear was registered B4 1984 and the state that you live in allows Machine guns.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #29

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

SWD lightning link?