ATF Interview Questions - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > ATF Interview Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I chose to not transfer the firearm during the Indefinite Delay because I did not know the reason nor the person. Had I made the transfer on my own decision and the buyer used the gun in a crime, I am sure the state would have said they did not approve the transfer....which would have been correct....and I would have been liable.

While I am radically pro-2nd Amendment and had 100+ letters published in the Houston Post and Chronicle, it would have been poor judgment on my part (in my opinion) to make the transfer under those circumstances.

Even if a person passes the Background Check, the FFL has a responsibility to deny the transfer if he has reason to believe something is amiss....like a straw purchase or altered ID.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #52

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref441 View Post
I have never heard of a liaison officer...and I did not expect, ask for, or receive any help from ATF in my original application in 1980. Maybe things have changed in the recent past.

I do know that there is a "magic number" (unknown to me) of entries you must reach in three years before a renewal application will be approved. I had about 325 in my last 3-year license renewal.
Who told you there was any magic number. What ATF actually says is that they have the right to not renew a license that has had no activity in 24 months.

I have never heard of a liaison officer either. The agents that visit you are field agents. I guess I knew enough about ATF Form 4473 that I never had to ask. Like you, I did not expect anymore. Keeping the records straight is something I take very seriously. We use a software program for bound book entries, make regular backups and print hard copy every 24 hours. I also use EX Check. Bound books, 4473 and how to file was explained in my initial interview.

I remember calling industry operations about a year after getting my 01-FFL. I asked them something about getting audited once a year. They said, Who told you that? We don't audit dealers without a reason and it is not every year. I have yet to be audited after 6 years. I sell quite a few more than 325 firearms in a year.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #53

The "magic number" was my wording. You are required on the renewal application to report the number of bound book entries since the last renewal. Below a certain number (which I do not know), they may choose (as you note) to not renew the license. I do not know how they would ascertain inactivity over the last 24 months without an on-site audit.

My 325 was in three years, not one. I used to do more business in Houston; but the crime threat and gun demand is far less here in a rural area.

When we moved here 11 years ago, I was told on a Wednesday that an agent would be here on Friday to do an audit. All our earthly possessions were in two zircon storage bins on the property where our house was being built. I spent most of two days going through the bins to find and organize my records. Friday came and went with no agent. My renewal license came in the mail on Saturday. Eleven years later, I have not seen anyone from ATF. But I stay ready all the time.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #54

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I do not know how they would ascertain inactivity over the last 24 months without an on-site audit. An audit would seem to be the only way to know. I'm trying to remember where I read that about inactivity. I think it is in the Regulations Reference Guide or it could have been an ATF publication.

When we moved here 11 years ago, I was told on a Wednesday that an agent would be here on Friday to do an audit. It was the move that triggered the audit I am sure. They usually do an inspection of any place you are going to do business.

All our earthly possessions were in two zircon storage bins on the property where our house was being built. I spent most of two days going through the bins to find and organize my records. Friday came and went with no agent. My renewal license came in the mail on Saturday. Eleven years later, I have not seen anyone from ATF. But I stay ready all the time.
That is something that they didn't show up. At least they gave you some advance notice, they don't have to.
I guess if you don't give them a good reason to visit you they don't.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:31 AM   #55

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I chose to not transfer the firearm during the Indefinite Delay because I did not know the reason nor the person. Had I made the transfer on my own decision and the buyer used the gun in a crime, I am sure the state would have said they did not approve the transfer....which would have been correct....and I would have been liable.

While I am radically pro-2nd Amendment and had 100+ letters published in the Houston Post and Chronicle, it would have been poor judgment on my part (in my opinion) to make the transfer under those circumstances.

Even if a person passes the Background Check, the FFL has a responsibility to deny the transfer if he has reason to believe something is amiss....like a straw purchase or altered ID.

I understand, however since I cannot read another freeman's mind I do not choose to make assumptions that may not exist. BTW I also have a 2mil liability policy and I don't know how bad I would hafta be worried that the sky was gonna fall on me to give up on my own/other people's Freedoms but it ain't gonna happen today, not at my store.