Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   ATF Interview Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/atf-interview-questions-23574/)

Unk 02-18-2010 11:41 PM

ATF Interview Questions
 
Hello All,

I just joined the group and became a supporting member. I did a little intro of myself in the intro area. This is my second post so bear with me if I stumble I apologize. I got all requirements for the FFL, Tax ID Fed tax ID etc.

I am having an alarm installed tomorrow and have gun safes for personal and those I would transfer or sell. I don't think security would be an issue.

What types of questions has anyone had from the ATF? Im a little nervous about technical questions.

Will the person interviewing me be my ATF Field agent?
I thought applying for the FFL was going to be a bunch of confusion, but actually it all was rather simple.

Thanks,
Unk


A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Emo Philips

NGIB 02-19-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unk (Post 232612)
Hello All,

I just joined the group and became a supporting member. I did a little intro of myself in the intro area. This is my second post so bear with me if I stumble I apologize. I got all requirements for the FFL, Tax ID Fed tax ID etc.

I am having an alarm installed tomorrow and have gun safes for personal and those I would transfer or sell. I don't think security would be an issue.

What types of questions has anyone had from the ATF? Im a little nervous about technical questions.

Will the person interviewing me be my ATF Field agent?
I thought applying for the FFL was going to be a bunch of confusion, but actually it all was rather simple.

Thanks,
Unk


A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Emo Philips

Are you getting your FFL because you intend to sell guns? The way your post reads it sounds like you're getting an FFL to buy guns and maybe sell a few. The ATF expects FFL holders to actually operate a business so you'll have to have your ducks in a row...

Unk 02-20-2010 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 232949)
Are you getting your FFL because you intend to sell guns? The way your post reads it sounds like you're getting an FFL to buy guns and maybe sell a few. The ATF expects FFL holders to actually operate a business so you'll have to have your ducks in a row...

My intention is to sell part-time for now. I have the operating hours listed and I would also do transfers. My guess then would be the questions are around my business intentions? When you say ducks in a row what do you mean? I have my DBA and I checked with the county for zoning. I also have my FIN as well as my state tax ID. I let the sheriff know my intention to sell and my DBA has selling guns as the business. I guess my post was short due to the fact that I was more curious about questions during the ATF interview. Is the above having my ducks in a row or am I supposed to have a business plan as well? I have a good idea on what I want to accomplish and perhaps should make one for my own good. I took a quickbooks course too.

Thanks for your question and please let me know if I am on the right track. My ideal situation would be to get so much business I had to quit my I.T. job and get a seperate building and go full time.

UNK

kygunguy 02-20-2010 05:33 AM

My interview was not so much about them asking me questions as it is them going over the procedures and some of the forms. How to keep your A&D book. If you have a corp or llc, make sure you have your articles of incorporation for them to look at. Mine took maybe 1 1/2 hours or so. Before she left, she had part of my FFL # so I could get stamps made, about three weeks later the Lic showed up.

I had heard that after receiving the FFL the ATF would send out a box with a lot of various forms/brochures, it's been about a month or so and nothing yet.

Unk 02-20-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kygunguy (Post 233227)
My interview was not so much about them asking me questions as it is them going over the procedures and some of the forms. How to keep your A&D book. If you have a corp or llc, make sure you have your articles of incorporation for them to look at. Mine took maybe 1 1/2 hours or so. Before she left, she had part of my FFL # so I could get stamps made, about three weeks later the Lic showed up.

I had heard that after receiving the FFL the ATF would send out a box with a lot of various forms/brochures, it's been about a month or so and nothing yet.

Thanks for your reply, I would be a sole proprietor. So would it be safe it to say it was more of an educational visit? That is they were educating you on the process of keeping records and filling out forms? Thanks for your reply as well. I am impressed at how many people have welcomed me as well as reply to my post. This seems like one friendly community. I really have wanted to do this for some time now and even part-time is still better for me then not trying at all. My ideal dream would be to have a medium size shop, some chairs and regular visitors stopping in to buy and chat and trade.

Unk

kygunguy 02-21-2010 04:30 AM

Yes it is more of them educating you and I guess checking that the address that you put down is legitimate. I have heard in some cases they actually check the zoning laws.

But for the most part it all was quite fast and pain free.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Unk 02-21-2010 05:50 AM

I did check my zoning laws and was told there are other FFLs in the county that sell from their homes. I look forward to keeping FTF up to date and hopefully share the news I got my FFL. I think having a Large Safe, actually 2, an Alarm system and all my paperwork done will be in my favor. My wife is a retied State Trooper and that might be a positive as well. However, the state of Illinois is looking at more gun cotrol laws coming out of cook county, probably with the Supreme Court ready to hear a case these Cook county Dems are trying like crazy to get what they can done. Personally I just dont get the whole fear thing of legal gun ownership.

Thank you again for your information and good luck to you and your business with your new FFL. ALso, congrats on getting it. Best to you and yours.
Unk

docpadds 02-21-2010 09:03 PM

BTW its an inspector that you interview with not an Agent, they wont be armed and are closer to accountants then any sort of enforcement agent. Our inspector has also remained our goto person for questions, can call her anytime and ask even the most out there questions.

Unk 02-27-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpadds (Post 234131)
BTW its an inspector that you interview with not an Agent, they wont be armed and are closer to accountants then any sort of enforcement agent. Our inspector has also remained our goto person for questions, can call her anytime and ask even the most out there questions.

I checked my visa account and the ATF was paid Feb 8, 2010. Just wondering now that the transaction has been completed do you know if it is 60 days from that time it was completed? I have my home alarm system in place and boy is it sweet. A wireless system with sensors and motion detectors. I feel even safer now. Is there a way to check on my status or do I just wait for the phone call?

docpadds 02-27-2010 04:02 PM

We did ours in 60 days end to end. Its just a matter of available resources at the local office, the file is now headed to an inspector etc, will in time reach the top of their stack and they will start the process getting the last part done.

Money taken is a good sign, means its moving along.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.