AR pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > AR pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default AR pistol

Just curious about legalities. I'm looking at building an AR pistol. Does the lower have to be registered as a pistol? I don't want to mess with laws and potentially get in trouble at a range or anything. Just looking for the right route to take.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556
Just curious about legalities. I'm looking at building an AR pistol. Does the lower have to be registered as a pistol? I don't want to mess with laws and potentially get in trouble at a range or anything. Just looking for the right route to take.
Now I am no expert on the law, my understanding is that it does not necessarily need to have been registered as a pistol receiver so long as it was never registered as a rifle receiver. My stag stripped lower was just registered as "receiver", so it was clear.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #3

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

Register as a pistol period!

Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1957 Times on 1358 Posts
Likes Given: 999

A virgin receiver is good for any firearm with legally assembled parts. Registration is required only for the NFA specified setups, such as a pistol with a forend grip.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 99

If you have to fill out a 4473 on the lower have them mark it as "other item". If they mark it "rifle" and you build it as a pistol it could get you into a bind. I just built mine a few months ago, and made sure everything I was doing was legal. It must be a virgin lower, meaning never fully assembled as a rifle. And for future reference, a pistol may be turned into a rifle, but a rifle cannot be changed into a pistol. Have fun

Old 11-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #6

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
A virgin receiver is good for any firearm with legally assembled parts. Registration is required only for the NFA specified setups, such as a pistol with a forend grip.
Id like to say thats somewhat right but we ran into issues with these stripped lowers because they say rifle on the side . We could not use these for pistols and had 50 of them at one time .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6liter
If you have to fill out a 4473 on the lower have them mark it as "other item". If they mark it "rifle" and you build it as a pistol it could get you into a bind. I just built mine a few months ago, and made sure everything I was doing was legal. It must be a virgin lower, meaning never fully assembled as a rifle. And for future reference, a pistol may be turned into a rifle, but a rifle cannot be changed into a pistol. Have fun
I built mine from a virgin lower that was listed as "other item" on the form 4473.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 11-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1957 Times on 1358 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Id like to say thats somewhat right but we ran into issues with these stripped lowers because they say rifle on the side . We could not use these for pistols and had 50 of them at one time .
Had they been stripped from production rifles?

Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #9

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

ATF might have a ruling on that, but your state could have another. Here in Komifornia, it has to be a pistol lower. With that comes the paper work and a tax. Or you can circumvent the entire process and build it from an 80% lower and still be legal.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Had they been stripped from production rifles?
No they had not , these were virgin lowers but there is a issue with building a pistol that says rifle on the side of the,.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens