Ar lower age requirements
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Ar lower age requirements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Default Ar lower age requirements

I was wonder if you had to be 21 to order an ar lower. I feel like I've read that somewhere before and I was wondering bc I want to build my own

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure of the laws where you are but I bumped into an old student of mine about a month and a half ago and he was buying parts to build an AR and he's 20.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I'm petty sure you only have to be 18. An AR is a riffle so it should still fall under that category.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

All ar lower receivers can be used as a pistol so you are required to register them as if it was a pistol. Stating that you must be 21, once a stock is on it then the age requirement is 18. No dealer will/should sell a lower to under 21 because batfe will not be nice to them.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #5

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Yep. To buy a stripped lower you have to be 21.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9215 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

FEDERAL law- applies to ALL states. To buy a rifle or shotgun from a dealer, you must be 18. For OTHER firearms, age 21. A lower by itself is not a rifle or a shotgun, it is an OTHER- you need to be 21.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #7

So by what you guys are saying I can get an complete lower with the rifle stock on it?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #8

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon15man
So by what you guys are saying I can get an complete lower with the rifle stock on it?
No, not unless it's mated with an upper with a barrel of at least 16". A receiver, even with a buttstock, is still transferred as an "other" on a 4473. The GCA rules are 21 and up with an exception for rifles and shotguns, not 18 and up with an exception for handguns. Since a receiver is not a rifle or shotgun there is no way to apply the exception. Your dealer could mate it with a rifle upper but he may need a 07 FFL and the sale will also be subject to the excise tax. IIRC, structuring a purchase so as to avoid the tax liability is tax evasion and can earn you and your dealer license plate manufacturing lessons courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Mated with a barrel of less than 16", a receiver and buttstock will fall under Title II (NFA) rules and cannot be transferred under Title I (GCA) regs. Title II is 21 minimum age, too.

It may be possible to buy a receiver in a private sale but I only have experience with C&R and Title I FFL purchases. Honestly, the BATF is very helpful with these questions and their documented response can keep you off the government "naughty list". I find that they are easier to deal with if you think of them as an extension of the IRS (as they were originally chartered).
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCandR

No, not unless it's mated with an upper with a barrel of at least 16". A receiver, even with a buttstock, is still transferred as an "other" on a 4473. The GCA rules are 21 and up with an exception for rifles and shotguns, not 18 and up with an exception for handguns. Since a receiver is not a rifle or shotgun there is no way to apply the exception. Your dealer could mate it with a rifle upper but he may need a 07 FFL and the sale will also be subject to the excise tax. IIRC, structuring a purchase so as to avoid the tax liability is tax evasion and can earn you and your dealer license plate manufacturing lessons courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Mated with a barrel of less than 16", a receiver and buttstock will fall under Title II (NFA) rules and cannot be transferred under Title I (GCA) regs. Title II is 21 minimum age, too.

It may be possible to buy a receiver in a private sale but I only have experience with C&R and Title I FFL purchases. Honestly, the BATF is very helpful with these questions and their documented response can keep you off the government "naughty list". I find that they are easier to deal with if you think of them as an extension of the IRS (as they were originally chartered).
Thank you sounds like you really know ur stuff