AR and AK SBR's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > AR and AK SBR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default AR and AK SBR's

Alright I live in Ohio. As far as I knew the age limit for NFA items was 21, now someone told me I can be 18, so can I take an AR lower and register it as an SBR and then wait for the paper work to get done and then put a 15" upper and the rest of the parts on it? Also how hard is it to SBR an AK pistol?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2536 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Ruger,

The way I interpret the ATF SBR Law as a Dealer is you must be 21 to Register, Receive or Possess an SBR or other class three item. Once 21 and you have an SBR you can put other uppers on it but you must register it on the Fed. Form with the SBR Barrel length barrel you are going to register it as. But there are some other issues regarding having an SBR. One should never have another Non-SBR AR Receiver for example, stored in the same location as the SBR Rifle without a barrel on it. If stored together the standard lower should have an upper of legal length on it. And obviously never put the SBR Barrel on the standard non-registered lower. Also for example let's say you register your SBR with a 14" barrel and you would sell that barrel or trade it off. And then put an 10.5" Barrel on it in the absence of the 14" no longer being owned. You need to contact the ATF regarding the change to the Registration. Otherwise things can get real sticky and could have a serious consequences. Also once an SBR always an SBR. If you ever sold or traded the gun you must go through a Class III Dealer to do so and wait for the transfers.
But 21 is the Law!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #3

Alright good to know. Because I will be turning an AK47 pistol into an SBR and an AR pistol into an SBR once I turn 21 this Nov.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

Liked 1127 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Ruger,

The way I interpret the ATF SBR Law as a Dealer is you must be 21 to Register, Receive or Possess an SBR or other class three item. Once 21 and you have an SBR you can put other uppers on it but you must register it on the Fed. Form with the SBR Barrel length barrel you are going to register it as. But there are some other issues regarding having an SBR. One should never have another Non-SBR AR Receiver for example, stored in the same location as the SBR Rifle without a barrel on it. If stored together the standard lower should have an upper of legal length on it. And obviously never put the SBR Barrel on the standard non-registered lower. Also for example let's say you register your SBR with a 14" barrel and you would sell that barrel or trade it off. And then put an 10.5" Barrel on it in the absence of the 14" no longer being owned. You need to contact the ATF regarding the change to the Registration. Otherwise things can get real sticky and could have a serious consequences. Also once an SBR always an SBR. If you ever sold or traded the gun you must go through a Class III Dealer to do so and wait for the transfers.
But 21 is the Law!

Technically you can call the BATFE and have the lower removed from the registry , so it isnt always a SBR but you cannot sell it as a complete SBR except to a class III dealer . As far as having a lower sitting with no upper on it where your currently storing a SBR and it being a issue is nonsense. you just cannot have the parts to build the SBR before its registered, engraved and tax stamp in hand , I highly suggest you build it as a pistol until you get your tax stamp and then purchase the stock to put on it AFTER you get the stamp , do not possess a stock for it while it is in the pistol form , That can be a very expensive and sore subject . Keep in mind if this lower was already registered as a rifle it cannot be converted to a pistol , once a rifle always a rifle .

you can use any length upper on your SBR 4" or 24" does not matter but if you registered it as a 10" you should always have that 10" on hand , if you choose to sell it and go to a 7" as your permanent upper you need to call the BATF and request a change on their paperwork .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
Alright good to know. Because I will be turning an AK47 pistol into an SBR and an AR pistol into an SBR once I turn 21 this Nov.
Must to 21 to own , apply etc, etc ,etc . Im a bit confused at why you would want to pay that kind of money and the wait to use a 15" upper when a 14.5 with a pinned FH will basically be the same setup except legal . ALso if you take it out of your registered state you must call the BATF and let them know your taking it out of state for what ever reason . If I remember right I think you get a 355 day pass back and forth from point A to point B

Most of all , enjoy your NFA stuff, have fun , be safe and abide by their rules and you will never have a issue

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 05-29-2013 at 06:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Technically you can call the BATFE and have the lower removed from the registry , so it isnt always a SBR but you cannot sell it as a complete SBR except to a class III dealer . As far as having a lower sitting with no upper on it where your currently storing a SBR and it being a issue is nonsense. you just cannot have the parts to build the SBR before its registered, engraved and tax stamp in hand , I highly suggest you build it as a pistol until you get your tax stamp and then purchase the stock to put on it AFTER you get the stamp , do not possess a stock for it while it is in the pistol form , That can be a very expensive and sore subject . Keep in mind if this lower was already registered as a rifle it cannot be converted to a pistol , once a rifle always a rifle .

you can use any length upper on your SBR 4" or 24" does not matter but if you registered it as a 10" you should always have that 10" on hand , if you choose to sell it and go to a 7" as your permanent upper you need to call the BATF and request a change on their paperwork .

Must to 21 to own , apply etc, etc ,etc . Im a bit confused at why you would want to pay that kind of money and the wait to use a 15" upper when a 14.5 with a pinned FH will basically be the same setup except legal . ALso if you take it out of your registered state you must call the BATF and let them know your taking it out of state for what ever reason . If I remember right I think you get a 355 day pass back and forth from point A to point B

Most of all , enjoy your NFA stuff, have fun , be safe and abide by their rules and you will never have a issue
I agree, if I were to sbr an ar I would put like a 12'' barrel on it.
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #6

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
I was thinking about taking my stripped lower and putting a 10.5 upper on it but the extra $200, 6-8 month wait and unable to do as I please with my rifle. I'm good I'll stick with my 14.5 pinned barrel

Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's one that I did. Easiest way to do it is to take a Draco pistol and add a stock to it. That way you don't have to mess with the gas system and you already know it'll be reliable.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
Here's one that I did. Easiest way to do it is to take a Draco pistol and add a stock to it. That way you don't have to mess with the gas system and you already know it'll be reliable.

Is that a side folder block on the rear?

Howlong are the turn around times lately for the paperwork?

Old 06-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Yeah that's what I want to do. SBR an AK pistol.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I did something similar with my K-T PLR-16 since it was the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to go. Simply added a butt stock to the gun I already had (second photo) and it became a SBR (first photo). BTW, it took 5 months for the Class III to be approved, but that was in 2011, so I don't know if the wait is longer now or shorter.

sbr4a.jpg   plr2.jpg  

Last edited by rachilders; 06-13-2013 at 10:00 PM.