Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > appeal to higher government - local denial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Default appeal to higher government - local denial

I live in a little town and I'm trying to get a business license, an FFL for a gunsmithing shop, and the local government said no today - despite my having all my ducks in a row and meeting every single requirement for local, state and federal licensing they said no.
I was polite but deep down I am royally pissed.
Their stated reason was 'it would increase traffic', despite the fact the business is invitation only and would mean me getting perhaps 2 customers per week.
This would mean my only chance for a job is gone.

Can I appeal to the state, county, or federal government, and how would I go about doing it? The BATF could not answer me with certainty.

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

IS the zoning not right or something? Or is it a HOA?Didnt know they could just say no. Thought there had to be a law or zoning restriction.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #3

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck266 View Post
IS the zoning not right or something? Or is it a HOA?Didnt know they could just say no. Thought there had to be a law or zoning restriction.

In my city, Seagoville, you can legally have a business from your home as many do around here.
The reason that the zoning official gave me was 'fear for increased traffic'. Can someone explain to me how four people a week, if that many, is going to cause a traffic jam?
Hell, the SOB next door to me has a 5 ton trailer and a 2 ton diesel for his wrecker service (ON A RESIDENTIAL G*D DAMNED STREET!) parked so that half of the street's width is taken up by his trailer.
The city hasn't said a thing to him over the past 6 years it's been there! And it's just one of 4 working diesels parked in the city!
DO I have to bribe one of these people?!

So, if the city refuses to let me have my business, what can I do? Can I take them to county small claims court or what?

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I got fired from my security guard job. I had 20 years in the military with the US Army Rangers. My employer said I was a "Security Risk"...go figure??? No justification, no reason, no documentation.

It is just a plain fact that those in charge, who are cowards, will do all they can to manufacture fear, destroy anyone, generate the evidence to support their determination, just so they pocket the benefits for their personal success.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8385 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

MAtty- you have a zoning issue. It sounds like you are requesting a variance in use permit. The town/city has a zoning board. You have a right to appeal a decision to the board. You will need to present them with facts to support your contention that this will not increase traffic. In all likelihood, they are having to look at not just now, but future, since once they grant the variance, they have a hard time taking it back.

You need to explore this at town level- Feds have nothing to do with it.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been told that if you threaten them with a discrimination suit, considering your neighbors situation, they may allow you to do it. But I would do this as a last resort.

I imagine that their fear is you have no way of guaranteeing them your traffic level. And they do not want an argument with the other neighbors.

I too would file for variance. It may be worth your money to talk to a local lawyer.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Tell them you want to counsel LGBT people in your home office. They won't dare to get in the way of that.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman