Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > AOW or SBS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AOW or SBS?

Just a quick question here. What exactly makes a shotgun an AOW and not an SBS or vice versa? All I know is one is a $5 tax and the other is a $200. Is there a real answer or is it just a way for the BATF to get extra money?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Default Aow / Sbs

To be an AOW, it MUST have been shipped from the factoy, with a pistol grip and no stock = shorten below 18" and it is an AOW.

If the shotgun was shipped with a standard stock, when you shorten it below 18", it becomes a SBS = $ 200 Tax.

Pen guns such as the PENFIRE, are an AOW.

Hope that helps !

Old 05-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

A firearm registered as a pistol becomes an AOW when a verticle foregrip is attached as well. I saw a guy at the range with a AR type pistol, and a foregrip attached (this is in Illinois where no NFA items are allowed). I gave him a quick heads up, and he had no idea what he was doing was a felony. Another example of gun laws that make no sense.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
LEO

I see that AOW are OK for IL

No - Machine Gun
No - Sound Suppressor
No - Short Rifle
No - Short Shotgun
Yes - AOW
? - DD Explosive
N0 - DD Comments