Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Any Northern Ohio FFL advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any Northern Ohio FFL advice?

I am up around Toledo and have submitted my FFL application. Can anyone give me a heads up on how my local BATF office operates and what to expect with the interview?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8306 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I am NOT from your area- but would offer some insight on what to expect.

Your interview will be with an Industry Inspector in all likelihood. They will want to know that you DO plan to be "in the business", and not looking for personal use only, that you meet local and state laws (zoning) have a business area, secure storage, and defined business hours. They will also talk with you about things you need to do to be in the business- your records, making sales, gun locks, form 4473, straw man sales, etc.

Get a legal pad, and take GOOD notes- there is usually a wealth of info you will need. They are not only seeking info, but delivering it.

Good luck!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Thanks C3. Hoping the folks out of my office are good people.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If they are anything like the agents out of the Pittsburgh field office, you'll have no issues with them. I didn't.

Just make sure you're "I"s are dotted and your "T"s crossed and you'll be good. C3 basically gave you good info. It'll be to your advantage to get both the NFA book and your state laws to reference and start getting familiar with them now. You can get the NFA book through the ATF forms distribution center, if my fallible memory serves, 301-583-4696. The licensing center can also help you and they have no issue with questions, 866-662-2750. The forms distribution center is also where you will get your 4473s and any other Federal forms you will need to conduct business.

Anything else you might need, there are several of us dealers on here and we are more than willing to help as we can. I don't believe that there is any from Ohio, though.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #5

Thanx for the info. I will definitely get that info. Well then hopefully through my process I can offer details for Ohio for anyone else as I learn them.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Probably first and foremost, you have to make absolutely sure that you can conduct the gun business where you wish to do it. Zoning and so forth. Having local issues conducting business can make the whole affair a moot point from jump street. There might also be the thing of mercantile licenses depending on the rules of your municipality regarding any business opening. Make sure of this now, not later. It's taking care of the little details, and the not so little ones, sooner than later that make for a steady transition into having the business start or not.

I hope that you submitted more than one fingerprint card with your Form 7. It's recommended that every applicant do just that and it came to bear fruit when I did. The FBI, for some inexplicable reason, didn't like the first card that ATF submitted to them after I sent two with my Form 7. Good thing that there were more than one as they sent the second in and it went ok. Just held things up a bit, but if there weren't two in my jacket, I would have had to get another made which would have been a royal PITA in more ways than one.

Once everything is processed from the paper end, make sure you have everything ready to go when the inspection day comes. Pretty much, if you are set up to start business at the time of inspection, you should be golden. It's a good idea to put your questions for the compliance agent on paper so you won't forget to ask when the day comes. There's no such thing as a dumb question, just the ones that don't get asked. Get ALL of your questions answered.

Again, just ask and we will help.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #7

wjn, Thanks. I have a zoning board appeal in 2 weeks. I knew there were no restrictions on selling firearms but I had no idea how painful it is to get a variance to do it out of my home. I already have my business registered with the state and Feds. I have the vendors license to sell and collect sales tax. All I need is the zoning variance and my FFL license. I did send 2 fingerprint cards. On the ATF site it said both ways, one and two, so I sent 2 to cover myself. I am going to start writing down questions now cuz i will forget half of them before the inspection and most of the rest while we are talking. Again, Thank you all for your advice.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #8

Like the above poster stated. Have you business plan layed out on paper, it shows you are organized and serious about making money. Not giving your buddies cheap deals on guns. The definition of a dealer is one who egage's in sales on firearms for profit. Show your plan, ask questions and have a place marked out where you intend on operating at! And contact the shooting sports foundation for A&D books, buy at least six once you are aprovd.
http://nssf.org/

Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #9

Thanks again. Wow, a business plan is gonna be quite a challenge to write. I've looked at guides for them and its gonna take some serious time.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #10

So the atf inspector called this afternoon and is coming out in the morning. Are there any questions that you don't really think about asking till later on that I could ask. I have a small list started but im sure as I start diving in deeper things will pop up. Just hoping to get answers now so its less painful later.