Ammunition manufacturer FFL - I got approved! advise needed - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Ammunition manufacturer FFL - I got approved! advise needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Oh, I know I am not competent do manufacture complete ammunition as of yet. No way in heck am I going to just slap a powder together and call it safe. I do have the goal of eventually manufacturing an all around rifle powder, pistol powder and primers for sale, all based on NATO and COMECON standards, but that will be years from now.

I go the type 6 so I could start making cases and bullets, which will be about 5 to 8 months from now. My knowledge of chemistry is limited to thanochemistry (I went to college to be a funeral director, not a pyrochemist), but I also know quite a spell about metallurgy and basic physics.

Why aluminium? Zinc. I will not touch the stuff. It has a super low melt point and gives off extremely toxic gas, which is lethal in small doses. Aluminium on the other hand is reasonably safe, recyclable, easy to work with (as compared to steel),cheap and just sits better with me. I'll have to do some science experiments with wall thickness and see if I can make a case that's better than whats on the market now.

The same problem sits with lead azide and other modern lead primers. I don't trust it. My current knowledge of primers is garnered only from horribly obsolete texts, such as 'Cartridge Manufacture by Hamilton'. I have a long way to go with this, years even.

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybock View Post
Oh, I know I am not competent do manufacture complete ammunition as of yet.
You do realize that ammunition manufacturers don't manufacture all the components, right? Remington, Winchester, CCI, Black Hills and all the rest buy the components and assemble them. Most powder comes either through Hogdon or a few overseas manufacturers. Fewer now that one manufacturer overseas blew up in an accident. Ditto for primers. Brass might be formed by the larger manufacturers, but most buy from Winchester, Remington or Starline. Bullets are also bought from manufacturers, it's extremely rare for anyone to manufacture bullets. Especially now that many ranges and at least one state has banned lead projectiles.

Corrosive primers are made by three different groups overseas. They are not generally available in the US. An Ammunition Manufacturer FFL (07 or 08) does not license you to make explosive substances. Regardless of what chemical degree you have. Corrosive primers are not suitable for many modern firearms and many consumers will not buy them.

That said, I wish you the best but fear you're already so far off track that your business will be failing. Hope you're really well capitalized.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Jeff

Old 06-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #13

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I would suggest you start out by reloading and shooting 100,000 rounds of different types of ammo. After you have done that you will start to get an idea of what you are doing. You could use a universal powder for rifles. You could simply have a bunch of poorly performing cartridges and one good one. A powder that works great for one projectile will suck for another. That is all there is too it. If you need us to tell you that...then you have no idea what you are doing. Not trying to be a jerk. I just don't want your next post to be from your wife telling us that you blew yourself up in your garage.

I have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds for my personal use. I would not consider myself ready to do what you are planning.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Default Ammunition manufacturer FFL - I got approved! advise needed

Is this a joke?! How the hell did he get his 07?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"In the early days of World War 3, guerrillas - mostly children - placed the names of their lost upon this rock. They fought here alone and gave up their lives, so that this nation should not perish from the earth."

Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSLAYERR78 View Post
Is this a joke?! How the hell did he get his 07?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
the BATF only concerns themselves with the legalities of someone reloading and selling ammo. not their experiance or technical expertise in knowing how to. i sure hope he has a good attorney for lawsuits.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

others have commented correctly on the ammo making proccess.

personally i avoid corrosive like the plague even down to using it in my beater mosins its just a huge freekin hassle.

if i know a cartridge is loaded with berdan primers i wont buy them.

berdan primers are typically not available for reloading and an extreme hassle to deprime making them effectively not reloable. while it can be done the time and effort far out weighs any cost saving.

im not a fan of aluminum cases. they allow a lot of blowback past the case into the action and bolt. i would hate to see what an aluminum case will do in a 50,000 cup pressure rifle loading!!!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #17

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

There are only a couple of calibers that I shoot new ammo. That is because brass is hard to find or very expensive. I will never buy a box of centerfire ammo that doesn't say "Boxer Primed" right on the box. I do not shoot Berdan anything. And rimfire is the only ammo I buy that I do not reload.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.