Amazing what can be found in a small town - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Amazing what can be found in a small town

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Those arent sears. First is a full auto hammer perfectly legal. Second is a full auto disconect again a legal part. The sear itsel is the naughty bit. If the reciever has a third hole above the safety thats the naughty hole that makes a reciever illegal.

Most people grind off the auto notch on those parts to avoid the hassle of different atf agents with different opinions. Since there has not been a real standard in dealing with the illegal ban on fa firearms the batfe can decide on a whim what will land you in jail.

At one point if you had an ar15 and a shoestring in your sneakers the atf could send you to prison...

Most liekly what he bought was a host for a drop in auto sear which is a regiatered nfa part and can be found in post 86 recievers
All too true, but why take the chance with an ambitious ATF agent wanting to make a name for himself.

For the record, the receiver did not have the 3rd hole giving it the ability to be full auto with a disconnect. However it did have the entire trigger group including the auto sear.
Just not hooked up correctly.

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

The auto sear looks like a little rectangle with a leg to attach a spring. Three round burst parts are a little different and have a rachet type gear in there.

Getting rid of em is a good idea though.

Without the third hole he couldnt have had a sear in there unless it was just rattling aroumd loose

When i bought my m1 carbine. Itook it home and took it apart the previous owner had all the innards for a m2 carbine. Unregistered. They are all sitting at the bottom of the local river. Had to buy new innards for it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You, me, and anyone can order a FA bolt and parts kit. Just need that pesky little sear. BUT, having a FA LPK and a stripped receiver, OR having the FA LPK assembled,EVEN if it lacks a sear....

Constitutes as intent, and you won't be the first Guy in history to be hemmed up for itm

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #14

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside_Sports

I always do my best to fix an issue like this when it crops up with no cost to my customer.
If I happen to have the parts in stock, they're added for free with no labor. Just the cost of the original work.
And if they would like to upgrade at this time, I get the parts for them and charge them only my cost...aka, no markup for me and no charge for labor.
Fortunately these guns don't come in very often, but when they do I love the story behind them.

In this case, he only wants stock AR-15 parts back in with nothing fancy.
He walked back out the door 3 hours after everything was taken care of.
You are a good gunsmith my respect to u an to your shop, I have seen it happen an the customer was in a nut shell screwed, becouse they didnt have to really do anything but u did thats 5 stars in my book

Old 01-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

Thanks for explaining it . And sure as hell don't want to see you lose your FFL for any reason . Great job

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The auto sear and the third hole are the real "needed" parts/features, but you will get time in the pokey for any F/A lower parts. The only one they "might" overlook is the bolt carrier. I too am wondering how an auto sear could be installed "incorrectly"? No hole, no workee. JB Weld anyone?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

And...an FFL dealer/gunsmith has a duty to report such things. In this day and age, you do not think ATF is opposed to setting a dealer up with such a scenario? Just another scalp. You would be a damn fool to not report it. That is unless you are fond of getting azz raped in prison.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The auto sear and the third hole are the real "needed" parts/features, but you will get time in the pokey for any F/A lower parts. The only one they "might" overlook is the bolt carrier. I too am wondering how an auto sear could be installed "incorrectly"? No hole, no workee. JB Weld anyone?
Wasn't JB Weld, but a ton of grease that made the whole trigger group sluggish and not work correctly.

When I was in school, they said basically the same thing...The only FA part you can have is a carrier and even then don't advertise such things.
Since leaving school and getting the shop up and running I don't want to take any chances to have it all go down the drain, hence the letting ATF know and destroying said parts.
But I don't think this was a setup or a sting, the town is just a little too small for ATF to not make a big splash before they did anything.

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The auto sear looks like a little rectangle with a leg to attach a spring. Three round burst parts are a little different and have a rachet type gear in there.

Getting rid of em is a good idea though.

Without the third hole he couldnt have had a sear in there unless it was just rattling aroumd loose

When i bought my m1 carbine. Itook it home and took it apart the previous owner had all the innards for a m2 carbine. Unregistered. They are all sitting at the bottom of the local river. Had to buy new innards for it.
Quoted for truth. There is nothing illegal about having those parts. period

Todd

07/C2 SOT
In Louisiana
Need variance work ? I can help.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #20

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

This reminds me of a few years back when my wife & i was at a flemarket.

A few sellers there selling firearms,parts,ammo,ect.I walked up to this table,the guy had a bunch of ak,ar,fal,parts laying out.I notcied he had big wooden crate with a bunch of mixed parts,mags,ect. thrown into it.I asked him about the crate & he tells me any & everything in the crate is 5 dollars per item..wasnt a bad deal i figured,so i started digging through the crate of parts,i had laid out a few parts on the ground,as i got closer to the bottom of this crate & saw what blew my mind was a lightning link for an ar15I chunked all those parts back into the crate,stood up,grabbed my wife & hauled butt away from the seller and his sh*T.

not knowing much about the drop in (what ever) & being i owned 7 AR's @ the time,i just didnt think it was a good idea to bring home that peice of tin & wind up in club-FED for the next 10 years...but it does make me wonder,why is something so illegal to own,so easy to get OR find @ a fleamarket???...BATFE need to change thier name to EFAAGO=(entrapment for all american gun owners)