Amazing what can be found in a small town
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Amazing what can be found in a small town

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Amazing what can be found in a small town

Had a customer walk in today with rifle he just bought at a yard sale, the gentleman who sold it said that it wouldn't work.
Walks it in the door, asks if I'll clean it and inspect it.
I start to dig into it and this is what I find.
10 points to whoever can tell me what this part is and what gun it came out of.
And before someone asks, yes ATF has been called and yes these parts have been destroyed.

Happy shooting
--Creekside

01-12-12_1348.jpg   01-12-12_1349.jpg  

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

Those are either fully auto sear or three round burst

I am not trying to start a fight or be a a##hole. This is just a question what gives you the right to destroy it and call the ATF ?

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Last edited by SSGSF; 01-13-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.
Your right, full auto parts
Poor guy didn't like the bad news.
The real funny part is the lower isn't marked with auto or burst. And I'm curious where the previous owner acquired such NFA parts.

Quote:
Quote:
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Last edited by Creekside_Sports; 01-13-2012 at 04:56 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

dang, who sells ARs at a yard sale?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF

I am not trying to start a fight or be a a##hole. This is just a question what gives you the right to destroy it and call the ATF ?
Pretty jacked up I thought to pal

Old 01-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
The fact that my customer is not LE or Military, the serial number on the lower receiver puts the date of manufacture after 1986 and therefore is not in the registry. In addition I have a professional responsibility to not have illegal firearms or parts in my shop.
It's real simple, I'm not a Class III dealer and when a controlled part that is un-registered show's up in my shop I'm not going to be committing a crime by returning said part.
I'm sorry if I sound like an a**hole when it comes to this but dealing with Class III weapons/restricted items there is no room for mistakes when dealing with ATF.

Edit: Also, when I spoke with ATF they weren't looking for blood, they just wanted the hammer and sear destroyed.

Quote:
Quote:
phoenixbob Likes This 
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #7

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside_Sports

The fact that my customer is not LE or Military, the serial number on the lower receiver puts the date of manufacture after 1986 and therefore is not in the registry. In addition I have a professional responsibility to not have illegal firearms or parts in my shop.
It's real simple, I'm not a Class III dealer and when a controlled part that is un-registered show's up in my shop I'm not going to be committing a crime by returning said part.
I'm sorry if I sound like an a**hole when it comes to this but dealing with Class III weapons/restricted items there is no room for mistakes when dealing with ATF.

Edit: Also, when I spoke with ATF they weren't looking for blood, they just wanted the hammer and sear destroyed.
What did u do to help him out with the deal then, did u stad behind him an fix it???? If u did I respect that fully, if not well u know, I lost a gun my grandfather brought home from ww2 becouse of the same crap. I was ignorant of the law yes but it was a cherished gun to have him do that sure made alot of bad blood between us

Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
What did u do to help him out with the deal then, did u stad behind him an fix it???? If u did I respect that fully, if not well u know, I lost a gun my grandfather brought home from ww2 becouse of the same crap. I was ignorant of the law yes but it was a cherished gun to have him do that sure made alot of bad blood between us
I always do my best to fix an issue like this when it crops up with no cost to my customer.
If I happen to have the parts in stock, they're added for free with no labor. Just the cost of the original work.
And if they would like to upgrade at this time, I get the parts for them and charge them only my cost...aka, no markup for me and no charge for labor.
Fortunately these guns don't come in very often, but when they do I love the story behind them.

In this case, he only wants stock AR-15 parts back in with nothing fancy.
He walked back out the door 3 hours after everything was taken care of.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Creekside_Sports; 01-13-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttessnc View Post
dang, who sells ARs at a yard sale?
The guys around here, but half the time they don't work right or they're rusted to hell and back again.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Those arent sears. First is a full auto hammer perfectly legal. Second is a full auto disconect again a legal part. The sear itsel is the naughty bit. If the reciever has a third hole above the safety thats the naughty hole that makes a reciever illegal.

Most people grind off the auto notch on those parts to avoid the hassle of different atf agents with different opinions. Since there has not been a real standard in dealing with the illegal ban on fa firearms the batfe can decide on a whim what will land you in jail.

At one point if you had an ar15 and a shoestring in your sneakers the atf could send you to prison...

Most liekly what he bought was a host for a drop in auto sear which is a regiatered nfa part and can be found in post 86 recievers

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-13-2012 at 04:56 AM.