Am a bit concerned about this rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Am a bit concerned about this rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Default Am a bit concerned about this rifle

Made an offer tonite on a mid-lenght BCM upper/Spike lower combination, w/ BCM BCG and Magpul furniture.

Only problem is the barrell is 14.5 inch with a supposedly "pinned" flash hider to bring it to a total of 16 inch.

I know if it <is> pinned its legal no problem....
but .....that guy has only one post on that board

What if the flash hider isnt actually pinned making this a Class III gun? (would it?)

I wonder if I should make him sign something to that effect that the flash hider is permanently affixed..

Even so that might make little difference legally in the end,.. as BATF has a long history of ruining lives of good people for good faith actions, as long as they can find anything to hang a charge on.

Otherwise the deal seems good though.

Maybe if I not take possession of the rifle assembled and then keep it disassembled in 2 seperate boxes as I drive it home and then have my gunsmith inspect it to make sure it IS properly pinned?

Thoughts?

Fred

PS: Moderators if this is not the right sub forum for this questions my apologies , please move as needed.

Last edited by bluez; 12-08-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2560 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

bluez,

I would have him send you some pictures of it with a tape measure measuring the barrel. If the barrel is brazed and pined it should also show in a close up picture of the barrel. Once you receive it what are you going to do if it is not what you purchased? NOT MUCH because you are in possession. Do you think he will give your money back? Probably NOT! And he will wash his hands of it. So use caution and demand proof!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #3

Sniper, thanks for the quick reply.

I am unsure how to ID the features you mentioned from a pic. This is my very first delve into sub 16 inch barrell.

My big concern is not so much the risk to being money out of pocket to have my gun smith pin it if it needs doing (he is cheap). That is arisk I am willing to take..

but the danger I might be in, if I take possession of an unpinned 14.5 inch barrel is what worries me.

Does keeping the rifle disassmembled until I can be sure make it ok ?

Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Sniper, thanks for the quick reply.

I am unsure how to ID the features you mentioned from a pic. This is my very first delve into sub 16 inch barrell.

My big concern is not so much the risk to being money out of pocket to have my gun smith pin it if it needs doing (he is cheap). That is arisk I am willing to take..

but the danger I might be in, if I take possession of an unpinned 14.5 inch barrel is what worries me.

Does keeping the rifle disassmembled until I can be sure make it ok ?
From the BATFE website...

Quote:
A FFL (Type-7 or Type-10) who pays the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) may possess parts required to assemble NFA firearms. A non-licensee or FFL who has not paid the SOT is required to register any NFA firearm via an ATF Form 1 (5320.1) prior to acquisition of the parts required to assemble such firearm.
Sounds like the possession of the parts is what matters, not whether they are assembled.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

personally, i would walk away from it unless, either the pictures showed it was PINNED and WELDED or able to inspect in person to acertain it's totally on the level. the risk IMO is just too great. as JPyle mentioned, in possession of is what matters to the BATF.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

These are bought and sold every day.

You're being overtly cautious.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #7

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

My rule of thumb is; if the proposed purchase might have a legal issue, I walk. There are too many ways for things to go wrong and the risk is not worth the gain.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #8

Fellas , thanks for this priceless feedback for this newbie.

appreciate it.
Will clal the guy this monring and ask some pointed questions and walk away if uncertain.
(unless my gunsmith is bored and wants to ride along but it would be a drive..)

PS:
If you ever need advice about Nissans of Infinitis I have a forum for those cars where we can get pointed questions answered
link available by PM

Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default Class III

Don't do it.Period.Don't take the chance unless you posess an FFL/SOT
If you want an SBR, then go through the proper NFA steps to purchase one.
I am an FFL/SOT Holder and i get this type of question often.
My standard answer is if there is any question as to fixed barrel length, don't buy it.Adding a pinned or permanently affixed flash hider will make it passably legal perhaps, but why take the chance?Adding a suppressor by the way does not extend barrel length for legal ATF/NFA SBR purposes
As an aside, do not attempt to suppress any rifle caliber barrel less than
10.5" OAL

Old 04-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #10

How do I get a serial # of a gun I bought in 1991