Age Limit? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Age Limit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10405 Times on 4487 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

sorry- fat fingered typing. Yes, should have been 18, not 19. Yes, State law MAY permit buying a handgun from a private citizen of your home state at 18.

However, question was about NFA stuff. NFA stuff has a transfer registered with the ATF, even a private citizen sale. ATF requires 21 on an NFA transfer.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
sorry- fat fingered typing. Yes, should have been 18, not 19. Yes, State law MAY permit buying a handgun from a private citizen of your home state at 18.

However, question was about NFA stuff. NFA stuff has a transfer registered with the ATF, even a private citizen sale. ATF requires 21 on an NFA transfer.
Thank you. That was what I am looking for. So at 18 you can buy a handgun from a private seller? What can/ cant you do with it?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #13

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon12312

Thank you. That was what I am looking for. So at 18 you can buy a handgun from a private seller? What can/ cant you do with it?
Check with your state laws on that. Generally, if your state is free enough to allow private purchase of a handgun, you can keep it in your vehicle, but you must abide by the laws on where you travel with it. For instance, in my state you can purchase one privately, but regardless of age and permit status you can't have one in your vehicle on an educational campus except in one circumstance, dropping off or picking up a minor child by the legal parent or guardian.

Many of these laws vary by state, there should be a website where you can look them up, and in Mississippi's case, any library that receives state funds is given a complete law library. So it shouldn't be too hard to find the legal statutes for your area.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #14

Its also a good idea to check with a local lawyer.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Its also a good idea to check with a local lawyer.
Thanks trip. And what about the range?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon12312

Thanks trip. And what about the range?
What about the range? Shooting a handgun at 18 at a range? Kind of depends on the owner. Some will allow it, some wont. Some will even rent a handgun to an 18 year old.
Some ranges won't allow you to even step up to the firing line without a concealed carry permit. Some of the poorly run ranges will allow very small children on the firing line.

This is one of those situations where you need to shop around and find what feels right to you.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #17

Ok thanks alot. Very helpful.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Federal law prohibits handgun ownership to anyone under 21. I have a sign in my office provided me by BATFE that states this quite clearly. You don't tell us where you live, so all we can do it relate our secondary laws where we live. This is something that you MUST research in your geographical area throughly. Now, use at a firing range is a different story. Still and all, the crux of it comes down to permitted ownership and posession.

A lot of lawyers and cops don't know all the firearm laws. They are all on the internet in each state's web sites and the Federal ones are on the ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives site. Best to know these verbatum rather than anyone's interpretations as they can be wrong.

Having a handgun in a vehicle is also something that MUST be checked on first before you find yourself in a real jam. For example, here in Pennsylvania, if you have a CCW permit, it is quite permissible to have a loaded handgun anywhere in a vehicle. If you do not have a CCW or where you travel to does not honor the one you posess, you have to have the gun secured in one place and the ammo locked in another. Many other places pretty much mimic this. Then, there's New York, but I won't get on my soapbox right now.

My youngest son wanted to start building a handgun collection of sorts before he turned 21. He has always been a hard worker regardless of his school schedule, so it was ok with me. The deal was that he gave me the money and I bought the pistols and kept posession of them until he turned 21. When he wanted to shoot them, we did it together to keep him golden in the eyes of the law. It was a pain in the butt in a way, but it kept him honest and both of us in the clear and under the radar.

Bottom line is that we can tell you on what the laws in any given state are, but it is YOUR responsibility to look at the particular ones where you live and travel to so you can stay in compliance, regardless of whether any of us agree that they are right and fair or not. They are what they are. Also, remember one thing. Federal law trumps state or local. If you're under 21, you cannot buy or even posess a handgun legally. For a dealer like myself to sell you one is a major violation of the law. To use false ID to buy one under age is a felony, $5000 fine and 5 years imprisonment. As a private corrections officer, which I am now after spending 34 years working the streets, all of the prisoners we house that have firearm violations under their belts are under Federal jurisdiction. You really don't want to go that route over this. I'm not inferring that you are even considering this, but I just wanted to give you all the facts out there so you can understand what the real deal is. Like it or not, these are the cold, hard facts. Hopefully, some day they will change. I never agreed with that you can go and give your life for your country at 18, but you cannot posess a handgun. Never exactly made sense to me.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 01-06-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #19

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms
Federal law prohibits handgun ownership to anyone under 21. I have a sign in my office provided me by BATFE that states this quite clearly. You don't tell us where you live, so all we can do it relate our secondary laws where we live. This is something that you MUST research in your geographical area throughly. Now, use at a firing range is a different story. Still and all, the crux of it comes down to permitted ownership and posession.

A lot of lawyers and cops don't know all the firearm laws. They are all on the internet in each state's web sites and the Federal ones are on the ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives site. Best to know these verbatum rather than anyone's interpretations as they can be wrong.

Having a handgun in a vehicle is also something that MUST be checked on first before you find yourself in a real jam. For example, here in Pennsylvania, if you have a CCW permit, it is quite permissible to have a loaded handgun anywhere in a vehicle. If you do not have a CCW or where you travel to does not honor the one you posess, you have to have the gun secured in one place and the ammo locked in another. Many other places pretty much mimic this. Then, there's New York, but I won't get on my soapbox right now.

My youngest son wanted to start building a handgun collection of sorts before he turned 21. He has always been a hard worker regardless of his school schedule, so it was ok with me. The deal was that he gave me the money and I bought the pistols and kept posession of them until he turned 21. When he wanted to shoot them, we did it together to keep him golden in the eyes of the law. It was a pain in the butt in a way, but it kept him honest and both of us in the clear and under the radar.

Bottom line is that we can tell you on what the laws in any given state are, but it is YOUR responsibility to look at the particular ones where you live and travel to so you can stay in compliance, regardless of whether any of us agree that they are right and fair or not. They are what they are. Also, remember one thing. Federal law trumps state or local. If you're under 21, you cannot buy or even posess a handgun legally. For a dealer like myself to sell you one is a major violation of the law. To use false ID to buy one under age is a felony, $5000 fine and 5 years imprisonment. As a private corrections officer, which I am now after spending 34 years working the streets, all of the prisoners we house that have firearm violations under their belts are under Federal jurisdiction. You really don't want to go that route over this. I'm not inferring that you are even considering this, but I just wanted to give you all the facts out there so you can understand what the real deal is. Like it or not, these are the cold, hard facts. Hopefully, some day they will change. I never agreed with that you can go and give your life for your country at 18, but you cannot posess a handgun. Never exactly made sense to me.
I am 20 years old and legally own two handguns,there's no laws that I have been able to find that prohibit handgun ownership by anyone under 21. You have to be a legal adult to own a handgun,which by law is 18. Now,that being said,it is illegal for a ffl dealer to SELL a handgun or handgun ammunition to persons under 21. That is the only federal law that about handguns and persons under 21, it would be perfectly legal for a legal adult that's under 21 to buy a handgun in a private sale. And it would be perfectly legal for them to own the handgun. The laws only restrict FFL dealers from selling handguns to persons under 21,they do not restrict them from buying and owning handguns period.

Now your local laws may be different/more restrictive.

ill find a link to the laws,I'm assuming that you run a lgs from your post... but this is how it was explained to me by my local police and several people mire knowledgable about the subject than I am. Maybe your just assuming that because you can't sell to 18,19,20 year olds that they can't have them legally?

Last edited by Jstrong; 01-06-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #20

I just want to know if an18 y/o can buy/shoot at the range, and have in his home.