Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Age Limit? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/age-limit-54836/)

Jon12312 01-05-2012 03:00 PM

Age Limit?
 
Hey guys, a friend asked me how old do you have to be to get a transferable weapon or a SBS ie, 14 inch. I cant find a straight answer out there. Any help?

wjnfirearms 01-05-2012 05:42 PM

If you're saying that the weapon has a 14" barrel, then it's 21. Anything under 16" basically isn't supposed to be classified as a rifle, therefore has to be listed as a handgun. If it's an SBR, then you'd still have to have the stamp from ATF to posess it over just age.

c3shooter 01-06-2012 01:56 AM

Only rifles and shotguns may be transferred to an 19 yr old. All "other" must be 21. So SBRs, SBS's, DDs, machine guns, AOWs and suppressors- which are ALL "other" go to 21 yr olds.

Jon12312 01-06-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Only rifles and shotguns may be transferred to an 19 yr old. All "other" must be 21. So SBRs, SBS's, DDs, machine guns, AOWs and suppressors- which are ALL "other" go to 21 yr olds.

I thought for a regular long gun/shotgun it was 18?

trip286 01-06-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon12312 (Post 668835)
I thought for a regular long gun/shotgun it was 18?

That was probably a typo, C3 knows his stuff.

Jon12312 01-06-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286

That was probably a typo, C3 knows his stuff.

Im not doubting that at all! I just wanted to know for sure. When I started this thread I was hoping c3 would comment on it because he is the go to guy here. Im still a newbie.

FaTmAn 01-06-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon12312 (Post 668902)
Im not doubting that at all! I just wanted to know for sure. When I started this thread I was hoping c3 would comment on it because he is the go to guy here. Im still a newbie.

he defently is i some times pm him just to get help on helping me with wordings and knowledge on threads because usally my brain is going a million miles a minute when im trying to put something down on here.

But he is right 18 inchs and over for rifle and shotgun is 18 years of age and anything else is 21 yrs but defently check your local laws before you do anything.

willfully armed 01-06-2012 04:05 AM

Federal law dictates a purchaser must be 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns FROM A LICENSED DEALER.

Individuals may purchase from each other at 18 for ANY firearm.

trip286 01-06-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed
Federal law dictates a purchaser must be 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns FROM A LICENSED DEALER.

Individuals may purchase from each other at 18 for ANY firearm.

Depends on the state too I believe.

willfully armed 01-06-2012 04:21 AM

That's what I forgot. State law may supercede federal age limits.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.