Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Advice on making a personal firearm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/advice-making-personal-firearm-91962/)

malmais 06-08-2013 12:06 PM

Advice on making a personal firearm

I've been interested in gunsmithing and designing for a long time as a hobby. I currently found out it is legal to make your own firearm as long as you remain the owner of it. But I can't find anything on the regulations. If anyone knows of them or a place I can find them please help. I am in Virginia. Thank you

notdku 06-08-2013 04:51 PM

I do not think that is the case any where, but I could be mistaken. I would suggest contacting your local law enforcement to make sure you are with in your legal rights.

robocop10mm 06-08-2013 09:50 PM

You can make your own firearm as long as it is otherwise legal (no full auto, short barreled rifle/shotgun, etc.)

Try atf.gov

Axxe55 06-08-2013 10:11 PM

check out the BATF website. yes you can legally make a firearm from scratch as long as it meets the criteria of legally owned firearm. as Robo said, no F/A firearms or SBR or SBS or AOW. any of these require a tax stamp and fee paid to the BATF.

you also cannot make one with the intent to sell as that requires an FFL from the BATF. you can make one for your own personal use and enjoyment.

malmais 06-09-2013 03:12 PM

Thank you axxee55. I am just trying to make just a single shot shotgun or something along those lines . I just can't find the restrictions like barrel length or full length.

BillM 06-09-2013 03:24 PM

What are your capabilities and available equipment? (two files and a hammer or a fully equipped
machine shop)?

Good starter gun for make-your-own is a 22 LR long gun. Bolt action, rolling block,
falling block---there are plans and prints out there. Relatively low pressure--if you screw
up heat treating a part it probably won't grenade on you.

Better idea. Grab a cheap mil-surp rifle or old 22 beater and modify/repair/customize
it. Gets your hands dirty, and if you screw it up no great loss.

Barrel length etc.? Your Google-Fu is weak grasshopper. A quick search for
"minimum firearms lengths" pops up 7 million hits---the ATF FAQ site is a good
place to start.

Rifle. 16" minimum barrel length, 26" overall minimum.
Shotgun. 18" minimum barrel, 26" overall.

malmais 06-09-2013 08:28 PM

My capabilities are entry level novice. I have information but no experience doing so. I know the theory behind it, but I do have many tools. The only gun I have made is a pipe shotgun, it is very basic and not something I can be proud of making. My biggest fault will probably be not knowing what names to go with and who are good manufacturers of parts. But I do thank you greatly for all your information.

Sniper03 06-09-2013 08:41 PM

BillM's answer to both the rifle and the shotgun are dead on!
But you also need to check your local and state laws since they could very in some cities and states.
But what Bill advised is the Federal Law requirements.

Axxe55 06-09-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malmais (Post 1271896)
Thank you axxee55. I am just trying to make just a single shot shotgun or something along those lines . I just can't find the restrictions like barrel length or full length.

as long as it meets BATF regulations, of 26" OAL and an 18" barrel you're good to go. less than those specs and it's a SBS and without a tax stamp and permit fee, it would be illegal.

BillM 06-10-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malmais (Post 1272124)
My capabilities are entry level novice. I have information but no experience doing so. I know the theory behind it, but I do have many tools. The only gun I have made is a pipe shotgun, it is very basic and not something I can be proud of making. My biggest fault will probably be not knowing what names to go with and who are good manufacturers of parts. But I do thank you greatly for all your information.

What you are trying to do ain't nuthin' new. People have been banging
out firearms for hundreds of years. Heck--there is a village in Pakistan
that pretty much does it full time, and they make complex firearms that
can fool experts----working over a dried mule poop fire with the previously
mentioned 2 files and a hammer.:)

First thing to do is buy yourself the "I wanta be a gunsmith" wish book,
the Brownell's catalog. Purchase price refunded on your first order--and
you WILL be placing an order.

Then maybe a cruise over to the Numrich website---check out the exploded
views with the names of all the itty bitty parts. Buy your cheap beater
whatever to play gunsmith with. Take it apart and put it together a few
times. Order the little spring loaded whatzit from Numrich that shot off