.22 suppresser - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > .22 suppresser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Most 22lr ammo does not reach super sonic velocity in a short pistol barrel. You need to use sub sonic ammo in the longer barrels and rifles.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

naturehiker Likes This 
Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Default .22LR Supressor...QUIET!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My take is the silencerco sparrow ss is the best on the market damn thing is short and very very quiet.

No suppressor works well on a 22lr barrel longer than about 4 inches unless it is integrally suppressed. Reason being supressors muffle the excess gas combusting outside the barrel. On rifle length there is not much if any excess gas. The benefit isnt much if any

On pistols with shortbarrels they work superb.
Actually there is one that does. I have the YHM Phantom and use it on both my AR15, SCAR 16s and Ruger SR22. When used on the .22, I shoot CCI subsonic HP, and it is as quiet as a cork gun. Incredible. Same on my AR15 SBR shooting Extreme Shock 00 grain subsonic ammo. Quiet as a whisper (almost!) and cycles the action too...)

Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
I have a few .22 suppresser questions.

Who makes a good .22lr Suppresser?

Dose the length of the suppresser have any effect of its function? I need it to be as short as possible.

And could I use one suppresser for more than one gun? Like use it on a 10/22 then take it off and put it on a 22lr pistol.
I prefer the SPECTRE. Super quiet and breaks down for cleaning, real plus with .22's! Can also use it on my FN fiveseven pistol!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #24

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I have heard many good things about the Spectre II by SWC. the price is nice as well compared to the Sparrow. The problem is the availability and the tax stamp wait. Plus I have to drive an hour to the closest class 3 FFL!

I also would like a YHM Phantom but wouldn't shoot 22 lead through it. It is not a serviceable suppressor.

I keep telling my friends to donate to my personal charity, the Suppressor Fund, but very few have done so!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #25

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I like how easy it is to clean the sparrow. I'm going to do a little more looking around before I decide tho. It will be a little while before I order one. I just hope they will be legal when I'm ready to get it.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

For those looking for a legal QUIET 22 rifle without going thru the headaches of a suppressor- or for places where you cannot own a suppressor- Remington made a nice little .22 Auto- their model 550-1. Rifle has a "floating chamber" that allows mixing 22 shorts and 22 LR. CCI makes a CB Long cartridge.

I have several of the 550-1s, and they will cycle the CB Long semi auto. About as loud as striking a kitchen match. Accurate, and suitable for pests or small game at 25 yards.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #27

I own 3, 2 Thunder Beast Arms Co. (30p-1 and 22l-1) and 1 Silencerco. Sparrow ss.
I use them on calibers ranging from 17hmr and up to 300 win mag. and I am very pleased with all of them, "warning" title 2 stuff is highly addictive :-)

Old 06-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own the Huntertown Arms Guardian .22 as well as the Kestrel 556. They are so much fun to shoot!! sitting around the campfire shooting a .22 that sounds like my BB gun is a BLAST. At $200 for the .22 can and $500 for the 556 they are priced very well. The 556 is serviceable so you can run it on your rim fire and clean it when you are done.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
silencerco has superb no bs customer service and the things just work as advertised
JonM, as always, is on point and knows what he is talking about.

I have the Silencerco Osprey .45 suppressor and it's awesome. They are a fantastic company and they produce great suppressors. In talking with their engineers at SHOT a couple of years ago with DocJason and Scubie, it was very clear that they take what they do seriously and they LOVE what they do.

My Osprey camouflages the sound of a .45 round to sound like a nail gun that is being used a couple of blocks away. It's got a report, but it doesn't sound like a gunshot.

SilencerCo is definitely a huge thumbs up in my book. If you can afford one of their products, you will not be disappointed.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #30

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
I like how easy it is to clean the sparrow. I'm going to do a little more looking around before I decide tho. It will be a little while before I order one. I just hope they will be legal when I'm ready to get it.
Access the inner workings and fill the baffles' air gaps with vaseline and you will REALLY see the brilliance in their design.

It took me almost exactly six months from filing for my tax stamp to get that fateful call. I hope you are patient.

JD