10" shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > 10" shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 10" shotgun

Just curious what atf form would i need to fill out for a shotgun shorter than 18" and does anyone know what the tax is on something like this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

It depends. If it began life as a shotgun, shoulder stocked, and you want to SHORTEN it to 10 inches, you will apply to MAKE a SBS- Short barreled Shotgun. That is a $200 tax IIRC. If it was MADE as a handgun- no shoulder stock, and it is being transfered to you- that is an AOW- Any Other Weapon. That would include something like the H&R Handy-gun, the Ithaca Auto Burglar, or the Serbu Super Shorty being made now. The transfer tax for an AOW is only $5.00. To MAKE an AOW, $200.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #3

So if it was manufactured as being a shotgun with a barrel lengther shorter than 18" from the manufacturer it only cost 5.00? And is there i form i need to get and fill out or will that be through the seller?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMat View Post
So if it was manufactured as being a shotgun with a barrel lengther shorter than 18" from the manufacturer it only cost 5.00? And is there i form i need to get and fill out or will that be through the seller?
Read his post again.

If it came from the factory with a pistol grip, it will be a AOW-$5.

If it came from the factory with a shoulder stock, it will be a SBS-$200

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Willfully is correct.

870sbs.jpg

The upper gun is a short barreled shotgun. It is an NFA firearm, and registration tax is $200.

The lower gun never WAS a shotgun- never had a stock, never papered that way- it is a Smoothbore Pistol. (And yes, there is a paper trail to support that) Transfer tax is $5, as an AOW. It is ALSO an NFA weapon.

Neither gun may be transferred except by a dealer with the appropriate license.

If I were to take a regular Mossberg pump with an 18 inch barrel, shorten barrel to less than 18", and replace stock with a pistol grip, I did not MAKE an AOW, I made a SBS.

If I took a virgin Mossberg receiver that has never been assembled into a gun, and add a pistol grip and a short barrel, I have MADE an AOW.

If there is not a dealer involved in this, I would run as fast as I coulld to someplace that a lot of witnesses will see you were there, and not involved with that shotgun. Penalty for possession of either of the guns shown above- if not already registered with the BATFE is 10 years, no probation, no parole, and $10,000.

If there is a dealer involved, he will have the paperwork to get you started. You will also need to be fingerprinted, and have OK from your local Chief Law Enforcement person. Be prepared for a few months wait between sending in papers and getting approval. Oh- you must also be 21 yrs old. No NFA weapon can be transferred to anyone under 21.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #6

If you are making a NFA item you need this:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

If you are buying one from someone else you will end up filling out this:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf

2011 FUN GUN SHOOT
SOUTH DAKOTA'S LARGEST MACHINE GUN SHOOT
www.fungunshoot.com