01 FFL Applied for
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

01 FFL Applied for

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default 01 FFL Applied for

A few months ago I made a dream a reality and started my own business restoring/refinishing, and repairing firearms. I've carried an 03 FFL for many years but until I could actually open the business, the 01 seemed a dream that would not be realized.

I'd been restoring firearms mostly as a hobby for several years and then only for friends and co-workers. I've gotten quite good at it and even after retiring a few years ago folks were coming to me or were being referred by former clients. Now that my wife and I are empty nesters, it seemed a good time to turn my hobby into a business and RC Gunworks LLC is the result. Now that I'm up and running, the 01 application was the next step.

I live in the middle Georgia area. My application was mailed off about two weeks ago. I know I have some wait time ahead of me. I'm pretty much good to go on everything. The paperwork side is not a problem since I've been maintaining records for my C&R for over 12 years.

One question I do have that's been nagging at me has to do with firearm storage. I run my business from a separate building on my property that stays locked when I am not there. Will the ATF find this sufficient or will I have to provide more security such as an alarm system etc..?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4669 Times on 2232 Posts
Likes Given: 2317

They will more than likely require a more secure storage facility. #1. A couple of large safes would do. #2. A Secured screened in are locked and anchored to the floor. #3 At one time mine was a Cargo Trailer in the attached garage with locks on the doors, hitch and setting on blocks. And the building had motion, window and door alarms. As I do today also have safes, motion detectors, door and window alarms. And an attic transmitter to prevent any wire cuts to disable the alarm systems. With a class 1 they may be a little more of a stickler depending on what you are building? Just my thoughts.
Good Luck and sounds Great!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
--Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Sniper.. I mainly plan to buy and sell as needed for folks and will not be carrying any hold over inventory. I've got safes in my home/office so I reck'n I could use one of them for temporary storage. My home is covered with an alarm system so perhaps the BATF will be satisfied with that..? The main part of my business is centered on restoration and refinishing (not building). I'm also taking classes to get my gunsmithing license. The FFL was just another part of my plan to become a one stop shop.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 39 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I got my 01 FFL a couple years ago. WE went out and got a nice 51 gun safe and all that good stuff. When the IOI came for our interview, she wasnt interested in seeing it. lol I kind of insisted...
They will be satisfied with your alarm system. At the time I started my business I didnt have an alarm at all. Did have an 85 lb boxer with a really nasty attitude if you didnt come inside with me or the wife. IOI didnt want to inspect that either. lol
Zoning is what catches most would be FFL's before they get started.
We recently applied for an 07 just got approved today. The IOI came by for the interview at the end of April, but said before he left his boss was going on vacation the next morning, so we should expect a pretty good delay. When we applied for our 01 it took a couple months to get the interview, but once that was done it only took a couple weeks to get our license.
TheOldMan Likes This 
Old 06-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Before I could open my shop, I had to get approval from the city. I'm good to go now so I'm hoping it's smooth sailing for me like it was for you roughneck =)
roughneck266 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default ATF Called

My meeting with the IOI will be next week on Tuesday.. Called me today. Must be living right cause I sent all the paperwork in the beginning of this month

Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13024 Times on 5557 Posts
Likes Given: 2139

From a fellow Old Man- your interview with the IOI is a great, FREE learning experience. They usually use the interview not only to ask you questions, but to school you in how to stay out of hot water with the BATFE.

Seriously, take GOOD notes. Lotsa notes.
People Like This 
Old 06-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, BATFE does not have any specifications for firearms storage beyond the separation of personal and FFL items. They have a lot of guidance, but no rules and it's not part of the field interview.

When you get your interview, have a list of questions ready. Simple ones, like "At what point am I a manufacturer?" will get you great guidance in staying on the good side of BATFE. The interview does three things:

1) Shows that you intend to make this a business, not a hobby. Having good record keeping systems already set up goes a long way.

2) Shows that you are complying with applicable state and local laws and regulations. Having your occupational, resale, zoning and other licensing ready helps greatly.

3) Educates you that the BATFE is here to help you and not jack you up, as well as provide you everything you need to stay in compliance. These guys see a hundred of your competitors and can be a great resource in getting your business going. Just figuring out the 4473 can be a nightmare.

Congratulations on your decision and new venture. If you're willing, shoot me a PM or email me: jeff at zina dot com. I'd love to interview you for an article I'm working on.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
From a fellow Old Man- your interview with the IOI is a great, FREE learning experience. They usually use the interview not only to ask you questions, but to school you in how to stay out of hot water with the BATFE.

Seriously, take GOOD notes. Lotsa notes.
I plan to do just that... Thanks for the advice "Old Man"

Old 06-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Could not have gone better

As the title suggests, the meeting I had with the inspector this morning could not have gone better. The meeting, originally scheduled for an hour to an hour and a half, lasted for over three! I have a new respect for the BATF. There was nothing he did not cover. He also made it a point to be sure I had a solid understanding of everything as we went along. Hell, he even threw in a test at the end just to make sure I was good to go by having me process a 4473 is if he were a customer buying a gun from me.

He was impressed when I presented him with copies of all my business related paperwork i.e.: business license, city permits, state sales tax ID etc. I also took tons of notes. So I can say now without any reservation that, at least in my neck of the woods, the BATF is here to help, not hinder. When it was over, I was told that I should have my license within two to three weeks or maybe sooner baring any delays because of the upcoming holiday. I even got leads on wholesale dealers.

Great meeting!

Last edited by TheOldMan; 06-25-2014 at 12:28 AM.
c3shooter Likes This