01 or 03 FFL?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > 01 or 03 FFL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default 01 or 03 FFL?

I want to get an 03 FFL since I like collecting old C&R guns but I've been told I'm better off getting an 01 FFL since the C&R is very limited in what I can and cannot have shipped to me. I know the 01 is a dealers license. Now if I get a dealers license can I buy and sell out of a pre-existing business?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You need to look into bother state and federal laws. The c&r is for collecting. The ffl is for making a profit in dealing firearms. If you do not intend to run a business you do not want the ffl. If you intend to make a profit from dealing in firearms you don't want a c&r.
Do more research.

I don't need No stinking signature.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I used to have an 01 FFL and let it expire because of all the paperwork and information that they wanted to renew it such as where the firearms would be stored. I now have a 03 FFL and it suits my purpose just fine. I have no interest in selling so I just order the ones I can and if I want something not a C & R I just get my dealer to order it or I order it and have him send a copy of his FFL. He charges me $20 and has to deal with the paperwork. I bought a Colt Python and a Steyr AUG in the last month off Gunbroker and I just called him and gave him the address and in about a week went and picked up my stuff.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

As said- if you are running a business, get an 01. If you are looking for an 01 to support a hobby, and do not intend to "Engage in the business" of buying and selling (or repairing) guns, it is not going to happen.

Quote:
can I buy and sell out of a pre-existing business?
Depends. What is the zoning for the current business? Because before you will be issued an 01, you will need to show that you are in compliance with state and local laws.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #5

yeah just gonna go with an 03 C&R. Can you get handguns sent to you with a C&R if it is C&R eligible?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #6

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
yeah just gonna go with an 03 C&R. Can you get handguns sent to you with a C&R if it is C&R eligible?
I've got a few handguns with mine through the mail/UPS/Fed Ex. - CZ82, M57 Tokarev, Nagant Revolver. As long as your state has no restrictions on them you should be OK with the C&R.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #7

Yeah no restrictions on them. I'm just gonna go with C&R.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #8

Wait is the 03 affected by any zoning laws? Since it is to enhance my own collection. Also do the guns have to be at my house? Or can I have them somewhere else?

Last edited by Ruger22lr; 06-05-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You need to go to the ATF site and do some research. There are alot of requirements etc. even for the c&r. For example booking is required as well as being open to inspections from the ATF.
Do some reading.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

If you are not running a business, zoning should not affect you (some museums have an 03).

The licensed premises are where the guns and the paperwork should be.

You will need to maintain a "bound volume" of firearms you acquire and dispose of. Guns in, guns out. Pretty simple really.

Yes, you are subject to inspection by the ATF. Once a year. Most of us have never been inspected, and if you are not selling a bunch of guns, not likely that you will be. An 03 has the option of having the inspection done at an office designated by the ATF- you can take your guns and bound volume to them.

Go to the ATF website and do some reading.

A few states (CA, NY, NJ) will treat C&R handguns differently. You will also find that there are a number of wholesalers you can buy from, places like Numrich and Brownell's will give you a discount on their stuff, and you will encounter 01 Dealers that do not know what an 03 is.

PS- You still cannot MAIL a handgun by US Mail. Limited to Dealers and Manufacturers.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.