Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (
-   -   01 or 03 FFL? (

Ruger22lr 06-03-2013 07:22 PM

01 or 03 FFL?
I want to get an 03 FFL since I like collecting old C&R guns but I've been told I'm better off getting an 01 FFL since the C&R is very limited in what I can and cannot have shipped to me. I know the 01 is a dealers license. Now if I get a dealers license can I buy and sell out of a pre-existing business?

mountainman13 06-03-2013 08:27 PM

You need to look into bother state and federal laws. The c&r is for collecting. The ffl is for making a profit in dealing firearms. If you do not intend to run a business you do not want the ffl. If you intend to make a profit from dealing in firearms you don't want a c&r.
Do more research.

string1946 06-04-2013 04:40 PM

I used to have an 01 FFL and let it expire because of all the paperwork and information that they wanted to renew it such as where the firearms would be stored. I now have a 03 FFL and it suits my purpose just fine. I have no interest in selling so I just order the ones I can and if I want something not a C & R I just get my dealer to order it or I order it and have him send a copy of his FFL. He charges me $20 and has to deal with the paperwork. I bought a Colt Python and a Steyr AUG in the last month off Gunbroker and I just called him and gave him the address and in about a week went and picked up my stuff.

c3shooter 06-04-2013 05:58 PM

As said- if you are running a business, get an 01. If you are looking for an 01 to support a hobby, and do not intend to "Engage in the business" of buying and selling (or repairing) guns, it is not going to happen.


can I buy and sell out of a pre-existing business?
Depends. What is the zoning for the current business? Because before you will be issued an 01, you will need to show that you are in compliance with state and local laws.

Ruger22lr 06-05-2013 02:24 AM

yeah just gonna go with an 03 C&R. Can you get handguns sent to you with a C&R if it is C&R eligible?

marc29th 06-05-2013 02:58 AM


Originally Posted by Ruger22lr (Post 1267905)
yeah just gonna go with an 03 C&R. Can you get handguns sent to you with a C&R if it is C&R eligible?

I've got a few handguns with mine through the mail/UPS/Fed Ex. - CZ82, M57 Tokarev, Nagant Revolver. As long as your state has no restrictions on them you should be OK with the C&R.

Ruger22lr 06-05-2013 03:33 AM

Yeah no restrictions on them. I'm just gonna go with C&R.

Ruger22lr 06-05-2013 11:35 PM

Wait is the 03 affected by any zoning laws? Since it is to enhance my own collection. Also do the guns have to be at my house? Or can I have them somewhere else?

mountainman13 06-05-2013 11:58 PM

You need to go to the ATF site and do some research. There are alot of requirements etc. even for the c&r. For example booking is required as well as being open to inspections from the ATF.
Do some reading.

c3shooter 06-06-2013 12:15 AM

If you are not running a business, zoning should not affect you (some museums have an 03).

The licensed premises are where the guns and the paperwork should be.

You will need to maintain a "bound volume" of firearms you acquire and dispose of. Guns in, guns out. Pretty simple really.

Yes, you are subject to inspection by the ATF. Once a year. Most of us have never been inspected, and if you are not selling a bunch of guns, not likely that you will be. An 03 has the option of having the inspection done at an office designated by the ATF- you can take your guns and bound volume to them.

Go to the ATF website and do some reading.

A few states (CA, NY, NJ) will treat C&R handguns differently. You will also find that there are a number of wholesalers you can buy from, places like Numrich and Brownell's will give you a discount on their stuff, and you will encounter 01 Dealers that do not know what an 03 is.

PS- You still cannot MAIL a handgun by US Mail. Limited to Dealers and Manufacturers.

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.