Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Yugoslavian Mauser M48 and Mosin Nagant surplus rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Field strip the barrel and all metal from the stock.

VERY hot water on all the metal parts gets grease, dirt, and a majority

of the more waxy cosmoline.

I'd use furniture polish on the wood stock. Old terry-cloth

towels do a fine job, without requvartting the finish.

When I got my first Mosin M44, I hadn't realized it had never

been fired. I took a swab, soaked it in Hoppes,

and ran it down the barrel. (from the muzzle, DAH me)

The breech erupted into a waterfall of thick cosmoline and

cleaner. Upside, of course, was that the barrel was pristine.
If you can find OZ it is awesome. Problem is it is slick. BLO works best. http://www.meritindustries.com/rsw.htm?gclid=COHT6rSR768CFYeo4AodZShm1w#wp

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #52

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Who makes some of the better gun vises? I need a quality gun vise and would like you guys input. At first glance the Tipton best vise looks great, adjustable, can be used for OU shotguns and pistols but upon further reading its just overpriced plastic flimsy made crap. I would like a quality metal version of the Tipton if one exists. Which makes and models should I look into.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #53

The Mosin is a very good rifle, The Yugo rifles are fine but Mosin is a very good !

Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #54

I grew up with Mosins. My dad got me a m-44 when I was 14 for my first deer rifle. That rifle cost us $22 here in SLC Utah in 1974. A box of Norma ammo for it was near the same price at the time. I opted for a LEE Loader instead & loaded my own. I've got a few more Mosins now many years later.

Several years ago I bought two yugo rifles from a local dealer, a M-48 & an M-48A. Numbers matching & great bores. Only difference I can see is the M-48-A has a stamped sheet metal magazine plate. I paid $99ea for them & have only fired them a few times. At that time I bought a bunch of turk ammo for .05 a round(about 4K rounds) & some Yugo ammo that cost more (about 2K rounds). I figure I should have enough ammo to get 'em sighted in

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #55

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

I just got back from the range with my Mosin Nagant. I plan on hunting elk with it this year. My son and I just got our tags today. That is why I was experimenting with scopes on the Mosin. I put this red dot on a few days ago. It is not magnified. I was having to kneel behind a table and rest my rifle on my bag. There was no chair and I was shaking a little. I was just trying to zero the scope. I fired 3 rounds at 100 yards. I was shooting at a 4 inch circle. 3 shots...3 hits. I left it alone. I have a 770 in 30-06. But I am using the Mosin this year. This is how I mounted the scope. There is a 3/8 dovetail inder the rear sight mount.

dsc00405.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #56
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

If you are looking for a excellent gun vise, check out "Brownells" website. Top of the line models there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDDLEHEADSTEW View Post
Who makes some of the better gun vises? I need a quality gun vise and would like you guys input. At first glance the Tipton best vise looks great, adjustable, can be used for OU shotguns and pistols but upon further reading its just overpriced plastic flimsy made crap. I would like a quality metal version of the Tipton if one exists. Which makes and models should I look into.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #57
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

One of the first rifle that I ever bought was a Mosin-Nagant 1944 model. I like it so much that I went back an bought a 1942 model. Both were uglier than homemade sin when I got them. Paid $90.00 for each of them. I took them completely apart and soaked all the metal in engine degreaser and striped the wood with paint remover and paint thinner several times with both until I was down to the bare wood. Raised the dents in the stock and then used Tru-Oil to restore the finish and bring out the grain. Restored the metal with an occasional touch up blueing. Long story short, two of the best shooting rifles that I own. The only modern rifle that I think looks better is the Savage .338 Lapua. But I am funny that way.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur