Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Yugoslavian Mauser M48 and Mosin Nagant surplus rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Why not rebarrel a T38 Arisaka, Model70? Its just a Jap Mauser.. Without the mum they can be had for dirt cheap, and were proven to be the strongest military bolt-action... Ive heard them to be rechambered in all kinds of high powered rounds..

I have a hard time with the Mosin beating a '03... My '03 with open sights puts my Mosin sniper to shame.. (Mines a older model with the ladder sight though)
My biggest gripe with the Mosin is the trigger and bolt.. The trigger is just awful, and the one on my sniper is the best Mosin trigger ive felt.. If I shoot anything other than good brass ammo, I need a 2x4 to operate the bolt.. The safety is just horrid too, I read everywhere how bad the Arisaka safety is, but its WAY better than the Mosin...
Trez, The 38 is not as strong as the K98, that is why the 99 came into existance for the 7.7 round. The 38 is similar to the '96 action or '95 action used for 6.5x55 and 7x57. Still not as good though. It is addiquite for the task it was intended for. I would be very leary of any big bore calibers.

The Mosin Nagant has a safety? It is really bad, that is why I jest.

Mod70, I can understand why you want a Mauser action. Your beloved Model 70 is an improved version and a very fine rifle. You would feel 100% at home w/ A '98. There is only one difference it the ejector goes through the locking lug on a '98, but not on the pre '64 Model 70.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #22

Liked 2224 Times on 1444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman46
model70 seems to have yanked theoldman's chain by dissing the mosin. i've a few each: mausers, enfields, and mosins; all shoot the same with irons sights, with my cast bullet loads yielding 100 yd, offhand, minute-of-milk-jug accuracy as well.

military rifles with 10 minute-of-angle accuracy don't guarantee a hit on a man at 200 yds. russian arms' fit and finish may be crude by our standards, but russians field capable weaponry. months ago, GUNS magazine's mike "duke" venturino tested ww2 snipers. a mosin bested enfield, mauser,and springfield 1903a4's by a bit.
I saw that, good read! I knew that would start a hailstorm, can you imagine the hate mail he received? Of course that doesn't mean they all shoot 7 inches at 600 yards, but it proves the potential of the rifle system as a whole.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #23

Liked 612 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Trez, The 38 is not as strong as the K98, that is why the 99 came into existance for the 7.7 round. The 38 is similar to the '96 action or '95 action used for 6.5x55 and 7x57. Still not as good though. It is addiquite for the task it was intended for. I would be very leary of any big bore calibers.

The Mosin Nagant has a safety? It is really bad, that is why I jest.

Mod70, I can understand why you want a Mauser action. Your beloved Model 70 is an improved version and a very fine rifle. You would feel 100% at home w/ A '98. There is only one difference it the ejector goes through the locking lug on a '98, but not on the pre '64 Model 70.
I thought Hatcher's Notebook says the T38 action was the only one he couldnt blow up.. Hatcher had to weld a bolt into the barrel, and it was just the barrel that spit, the action was rebarreled and used to build another gun.. It was the caliber was needed the upgrade....

Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #24

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I thought Hatcher's Notebook says the T38 action was the only one he couldnt blow up.. Hatcher had to weld a bolt into the barrel, and it was just the barrel that spit, the action was rebarreled and used to build another gun.. It was the caliber was needed the upgrade....
Yeah I thought that was the case too... The T38 action by all accounts was ( dare I say this ).. "bullet proof".. Even the 99 which has been refered to as the "last ditch" rifle had a very strong reciever/action..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #25

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

308 Mauser after a horse stepped on the stock and broke it, I rebuilt it and converted it from a 8MM to 7.62X51.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #26

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very nice... Looks a lot like my sporterized T-38 (still in 6.5 Jap. )

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Yeah I thought that was the case too... The T38 action by all accounts was ( dare I say this ).. "bullet proof".. Even the 99 which has been refered to as the "last ditch" rifle had a very strong reciever/action..
I had a 1942 Model 99. Definitly not a last ditch rifle. Mono pod, aircraft sights, it had more crap on it then a Swiss Army knife. I can't imagine some poor 5'2" 110lb sap being handed a 9lb rifles that can be made 8lb by removing, breaking off useless stuff. Then being asked to hump it in the jungle and leave it intact for inspection. The best part is being given 60 rounds of ammo, 60.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygoogle View Post
308 Mauser after a horse stepped on the stock and broke it, I rebuilt it and converted it from a 8MM to 7.62X51.
That is too bad since it is a Yugo Capture. I've never even seen one in person.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #29

Liked 612 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I had a 1942 Model 99. Definitly not a last ditch rifle. Mono pod, aircraft sights, it had more crap on it then a Swiss Army knife. I can't imagine some poor 5'2" 110lb sap being handed a 9lb rifles that can be made 8lb by removing, breaking off useless stuff. Then being asked to hump it in the jungle and leave it intact for inspection. The best part is being given 60 rounds of ammo, 60.
I got my T99 after all my friends made fun of my old guns... Its my "tacicool" rifle... I wish mine still had the dust cover and monopod.. (I still have the mum!)
I read many Japanese solders threw that stuff away because they were cumbersome and made too much noise when they rattled...

Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #30

I wanna get some texts or find some informative web sites on the nagant and mauser. I just need something to paint the picture in broad strokes so to speak, construction etc and the ideally the differences between I'll say original model/s and copies from other countries and the materials used and their construction. What would you guys suggest would be good starting points.