Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Yugoslavian Mauser M48 and Mosin Nagant surplus rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

The 24/47 and M48 use an intermediate length action. I'm not sure about the OAL of the .416 Ruger, If it is the same as 8x57, it will fit. The '98 action is great. The idea behind the 24 action is that is should be more ridged since it is slightly shorter.
The 416 Ruger is just a necked up .375 Ruger and designed to fit in a 30-06 length action. Sound like it should fit. I've heard the yugo's weren't heat treated right, so your gunsmith would have to redo it to make a high pressure (62,000 psi) rifle on it? Any truth to that?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #12

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
The 416 Ruger is just a necked up .375 Ruger and designed to fit in a 30-06 length action. Sound like it should fit. I've heard the yugo's weren't heat treated right, so your gunsmith would have to redo it to make a high pressure (62,000 psi) rifle on it? Any truth to that?
No truth at all. There is a smith near me that builds from .22-250 to short mags on them.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Since you guys are talking about .375 would .375 H&H mag be interchangeable with .375 ruger?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

the H&H has an overall length of 3.6". The Ruger round has an OAL of 3.35" The H&H will not work in the standard length action. The .375 Ruger does. The Ruger round is the same basic length as a .30-06. I am not sure if the slightly shorter Yugo Mauser will accomodate the slightly longer 06 length round

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I wouldn't waste your time with Mosin Nagants. Lots of quality inexpensive rifles out there that shoot modern cartridges very well.
OH LORD, THEM'S FIGHT'N WORDS BOY!

I double dog dare you to find a better shooting long rifle for the money than a Mosin 91/30... You obviously haven't a clue what you're talking about!

I'll match you shot for shot out of my $70 Mosin Nagant against your "modern" rifle (if you can find one that still shoots for that price)... If you still doubt the accuracy for the 91/30, check out the youtube video of the 1000 yd. shot(s)...

Vasily Grigoryevich Zaytsev.. Name sound familiar? Famous Russian sniper.. Guess what he used? Mosin 91/30... Please be careful not to discount the viability of these fine military weapons in the future ok Mod-70?

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 04-23-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan

OH LORD, THEM'S FIGHT'N WORDS BOY!

I double dog dare you to find a better shooting long rifle for the money than a Mosin 91/30... You obviously haven't a clue what you're talking about!

I'll match you shot for shot out of my $70 Mosin Nagant against your "modern" rifle (if you can find one that still shoots for that price)... If you still doubt the accuracy for the 91/30, check out the youtube video of the 1000 yd. shot(s)...

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc

Vasily Grigoryevich Zaytsev.. Name sound familiar? Famous Russian sniper.. Guess what he used? Mosin 91/30... Please be careful not to discount the viability of these fine military weapons in the future ok Mod-70?
Your certainly entitled to your own opinion, I just happen to see things differently.

If you wanna hang out at the range, then it might be cool...

But your not taking a Mosin elk hunting are you?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Your certainly entitled to your own opinion, I just happen to see things differently.

If you wanna hang out at the range, then it might be cool...

But your not taking a Mosin elk hunting are you?
Lovely country out in Utah. I'd like to take you up on that if my wife ever gets a transfer out to Ogden (AF Base).. To answer your question on elk hunting with the 7.62x54R...?? My answer is: Of course, why not? Heavier bullet than a 270 Win. which conventional wisdom says is the minimum round for elk. The russian round has better stopping power so of course I'd bring it out. Pretty sure these rifles have been hunted with much longer than any modern round like the .270 Win. (30 years or so prior).

In any case.. I'm of the opinion that folks put too much stock in modern firearm performance and not enough in clasics like the Mosin Nagant, or the mausers. But then, that's just my opinion.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan

Lovely country out in Utah. I'd like to take you up on that if my wife ever gets a transfer out to Ogden (AF Base).. To answer your question on elk hunting with the 7.62x54R...?? My answer is: Of course, why not? Heavier bullet than a 270 Win. which conventional wisdom says is the minimum round for elk. The russian round has better stopping power so of course I'd bring it out. Pretty sure these rifles have been hunted with much longer than any modern round like the .270 Win. (30 years or so prior).

In any case.. I'm of the opinion that folks put too much stock in modern firearm performance and not enough in clasics like the Mosin Nagant, or the mausers. But then, that's just my opinion.
It is quite lovely here, supposed to hit 90 today!

I don't mind the classics, if I could find an affordable 98 Mauser... Oh man. I've just never seen the Mosin that could shoot more than a 10 minute group which is fine in a war zone I'm told. (Never served, regrettably)

I've shot elk with a 25-06 with a 120 gr bullet. Dropped him dead. All about placement- which is where I question the Mosin. 10 inches is plenty of difference between the vitals and the guts.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

model70 seems to have yanked theoldman's chain by dissing the mosin. i've a few each: mausers, enfields, and mosins; all shoot the same with irons sights, with my cast bullet loads yielding 100 yd, offhand, minute-of-milk-jug accuracy as well.

military rifles with 10 minute-of-angle accuracy don't guarantee a hit on a man at 200 yds. russian arms' fit and finish may be crude by our standards, but russians field capable weaponry. months ago, GUNS magazine's mike "duke" venturino tested ww2 snipers. a mosin bested enfield, mauser,and springfield 1903a4's by a bit.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #20

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Why not rebarrel a T38 Arisaka, Model70? Its just a Jap Mauser.. Without the mum they can be had for dirt cheap, and were proven to be the strongest military bolt-action... Ive heard them to be rechambered in all kinds of high powered rounds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman46 View Post
model70 seems to have yanked theoldman's chain by dissing the mosin. i've a few each: mausers, enfields, and mosins; all shoot the same with irons sights, with my cast bullet loads yielding 100 yd, offhand, minute-of-milk-jug accuracy as well.

military rifles with 10 minute-of-angle accuracy don't guarantee a hit on a man at 200 yds. russian arms' fit and finish may be crude by our standards, but russians field capable weaponry. months ago, GUNS magazine's mike "duke" venturino tested ww2 snipers. a mosin bested enfield, mauser,and springfield 1903a4's by a bit.
I have a hard time with the Mosin beating a '03... My '03 with open sights puts my Mosin sniper to shame.. (Mines a older model with the ladder sight though)
My biggest gripe with the Mosin is the trigger and bolt.. The trigger is just awful, and the one on my sniper is the best Mosin trigger ive felt.. If I shoot anything other than good brass ammo, I need a 2x4 to operate the bolt.. The safety is just horrid too, I read everywhere how bad the Arisaka safety is, but its WAY better than the Mosin...

Last edited by Trez; 04-23-2012 at 07:20 PM.