WWII German Luger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > WWII German Luger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default WWII German Luger

First off, I admittedly know nothing about firearms.

However, what I have is an authentic, SS issue, WWII Luger in an SS holster. It's not in perfect shape, definitely dirty, with a little rust. My grandfather brought this back with him from the war (along with a Japanese officers sword - he fought in both theaters).

It's been stored in Las Vegas for 60 years now, which means very little moisture. The rust probably came from the time he spent in the Pacific.

Here's the rub: We also have at least one magazine for it (I don't know if there's one in it too), which just so happens to be full of bullets, almost certainly authentic also. While it is kind of cool (every bullet in this magazine is like a life that was spared), I also understand how extremely dangerous this is, which brings me to my point:

What the heck do we do with it? I'm kind of afraid to handle, much less transport these bullets, and whom would I even take them to? Does having these original bullets, along with the SS holster, increase the value of the gun? I realize we need to check the serials to confirm that they match up, but knowing my grandfather, I imagine that they will. (He was a gambler, before and after the war, eventually settling in Las Vegas where he worked at the sands during the rat pack days - the gun was probably won in a card game). Any idea of the value, with this limited information?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #2

my grandfather has one he got off of a german nazi in WWII and had it with the firing pin and everything until my scum uncle took it.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Have you considered getting a friend who knows something about firearms to unload it for you? That would seem like a good place to start; probably safer than trying to follow online instructions to do so.

This youtube vid should give you some idea of how the pistol operates. Don't point it at anything/anybody that doesn't need extra holes, JIC. I would really not want you to hurt yourself, your pets, or your pistol by trying to unload it, if you aren't comfortable with it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-25-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Can you post pics?

The ammo may be collectible if original WW2 issue. But German 9mm ammo from the war is not rare.

And beware of unscrupulous folks trying to low ball you and buy it cheap.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

Liked 739 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 770

I shoot German 8x57 from the 1930's, no problems. My favorite ammo for the 8x57(7.92) Mausers is 1940's production Portuguese, German, and Turkish 1949. I have a boat load of 1940's Brit MKVII that is great too. Nothing wrong w/ old ammo. I use to shoot 1920's Bulgarian and 1938 Nazi headstamped 8x56r in my M95 Steyr.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #6

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

See that M1911A1? That was my dad's and somewhere in the Ardennes it saved his butt when he terminated with extreme prejudice, the officer that owned that P08 Luger.

Had the product of that confrontation been reversed, this story would be told in German!

You know what that Luger is worth?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9362 Times on 4037 Posts
Likes Given: 1472

First, small arms ammunition, like the rounds in the Luger magazine, are not bombs filled with high explosives. At the moment, I just brought some ammo into the house (shopping trip today) and there are about 5000 cartridges sitting on my sofa until I go put them away.

In the Las Vegas area, there are several gun shops and gunsmiths. Call one, explain that you have a Luger, and need someone to unload it. Most folks will help you- just do not walk in the door of the shop with pistol in your hand.

DO keep the ammo. It may be wartime issue, more likely to be civilian ammo. There ARE places you cannot take it- in the passenger compartment of an airliner, a courtroom etc. I also cannot take a chainsaw into either.

There are NUMEROUS different versions of Lugers. Value of ANY gun will depend on EXACT model, condition, and originality. Accessories that are correct to the weapon (mags, holsters, loading tool, etc) add to the value. IF THERE ARE CAPTURE PAPERS (military document showing sidearm was captured by your grandfather, and is his as a war trophy add greatly to value. You really need a hands-on appraisal by someone that KNOWS Lugers. NOT someone buying it- conflict of interest there.

Or- only because I am a nice guy, I could send you $50, my Federal Firearms License, and a prepaid UPS shipping label- just unload it, box it, and drop off at UPS. Then you do not have to worry about it, and have a nice crisp $50 for your troubles. OK- $60. (Yes, I am only kidding- and my fellow forum members would gather to beat me black and blue if I took advantage of anyone like that. )

RESIST the urge to "clean up" the pistol. ONCE IT IS UNLOADED, you can use a light oil and a clean cotton cloth, and rub all you want. No steel wool, no scotch-brite pads, no (shudder) sandpaper or wire brushes.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-26-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #8

Liked 739 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Collectable ammo is really tough. Full boxes in pristine condition are where it is at. A single round is too expensive to ship. If someone wants one for a cartridge board, figure $10.00 shipped on your dime.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
See that M1911A1? That was my dad's and somewhere in the Ardennes it saved his butt when he terminated with extreme prejudice, the officer that owned that P08 Luger.

Had the product of that confrontation been reversed, this story would be told in German!

You know what that Luger is worth?

great story ,and realy nice guns ,the luger looks to be in very good condition
with matching magazine it will make 1500 to 2000$
my luger with german ammo,no story's attached though

Last edited by Reinhard; 02-26-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #10

what would a WWII german luger be worth that was actually used in the war in good conidtion?