WWII and Civil War gun collection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > WWII and Civil War gun collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default WWII and Civil War gun collection

So here's the deal. My grandfather was an infantryman during WWII and he picked up guns from the fallen and sent them home. He also came across a few civil war guns and added them to the collection.

There are 55 rifles and some swords that are stored in my crawl space. He intended them to be sold and the money to be used for education for my siblings and I but I have not been making great progress figuring out what most of these guns are. Out of the 55 I have been able to somewhat identify 30. I'll take any advice I can get and post pics if desired.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #2

The site below should help you identify old military rifles. Post pix here, what you still have trouble with. Remember a clean & fully functional weapon always brings more.

ParallaxBill's Curio & Relic and Military Surplus Firearms Forums - Message Board

Last edited by Esteban; 08-17-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #3

Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
So here's the deal. My grandfather was an infantryman during WWII and he picked up guns from the fallen and sent them home. He also came across a few civil war guns and added them to the collection.

There are 55 rifles and some swords that are stored in my crawl space. He intended them to be sold and the money to be used for education for my siblings and I but I have not been making great progress figuring out what most of these guns are. Out of the 55 I have been able to somewhat identify 30. I'll take any advice I can get and post pics if desired.
Post a few detailed pics at a time. Pick 2 or 3 rifles, start a photobucket account (free) and post the pics! I'll gladly help.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

The pics that I took are not very big because they were taken with my cell phone. Here's one thing that I'm having trouble with... Whatever this is I have never seen anything like it before. It's got a blade that stands maybe 4in tall with circular holes cut into it standing off wood shaped like the stock of a rifle...

Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #5

Another one that's been puzzling me is this...

The marking that I can make out are C Sharps Pat Sept 12th 1848 and Caliber 30 30.

It has an octagonal barrel, double trigger and looks like a model 1949 or 1950 but doesn't match the pictures I can find exactly.

It has a silver tip where the wood stock ends instead of a band and the caliber with the double trigger doesn't match either. I read that sometimes officers weapons had the silver tip? No serial number or any other markings were visable.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Here's the pictures I have. I'm working on making them bigger and more clear.
Snapfish: Share:Registration

Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Bother, I am sorry, but your photos do not have enuff pixels to allow us to see details- just a very blurry outline. I can only make a couple of them, and that is just an educated guess.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #8

The pictures are better than they appear. I bypassed a step and am making a new album link. Same pics, way better quality. It'll be up soon.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

The first bladed impliment is a war club, but doesnt look old, maybe a quality replica. The Sharps rifle is not an older one if it is chambered in the 30-30 cartridge.The older Sharps company never chambered a rifle for the 30-30 cartridge, in fact Sharps had been out of buisness for 15 years prior to the 30-30 cartridges introduction. Closer more detailed photos would help.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It could be a post Civil war modification to .30-30 done for a rifle in which bore quality had seen better days, or by an owner who.was having problems locating 56 Sharps ammo. Also copies of the Sharps have been made several times. Could also be a replica made in 30-30. Better pictures would help.