Worn out H&R 922
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Worn out H&R 922

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Worn out H&R 922

The "How Long Have You Been Shooting" thread got me kind of sentimental so I dug out the gun I learned to shoot with. My dads H&R 922. I don't know when it was cleaned last, but I'm sure he hadn't shot it in 10 years before he passed in '06. I got the gun and fired it a couple times to notice shrapnel coming back at me. Upon closer inspection I realized the edges of the piece that keys the cylinder in place when you fire, are worn down, and allows the cylinder to rotate enough for the bullet to graze the edge of the barrel/frame. So I retired the gun.

Tonight I dug it out and took a couple of pics...

Worn out gun.

Yes, that is lead stuck to the frame next to the barrel. I don't know how many times it was fired like that before I got it and retired it. Heck, there's a good chance I was the last one who fired the gun before I inherited it, and that would have been about 10 years before.

Oh well, some day I'll get my curio rack built and this will be a wall hanger. One that brings back many fond memorys of my Dad. *sniff*

If any of you could tell me the year, the serial number starts with a M.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

It's a shame it doesn't work right anymore I also learned to shoot a handgun on a H&R 922.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

Liked 1974 Times on 1088 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

You might try this link if you are looking to repair it. Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

Liked 1190 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 607

IF you have the time and steady hand along with the will power , you can make what you need if the part is not out there . I have made many many parts like this , You will need a good dremel set and a micrometer for starters . The material you use is also another factor , I have used an old ratchet ' tool steel' to cut and make my stuff . Sometimes you can find a universal part and work it to fit your needs , Im not a wall hanger person as all my guns no matter the age will fire at least once . My K frame .22 got to shaving rounds real bad and it was nothing more than some bent parts getting it out of time .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #5

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Post it here on either what's it worth or technical questions and Jim Hauff will be along before long to tell you all about it.
TheFirearmsForum.Com - Powered by vBulletin

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Awesome, thanks Rick. I think I found the part I would need, the 'cylinder stop assembly' for $4.90. When I decided to make it just a wall hanger, I was thinking that the problem was the lugs on the cylinder that were worn down, and it would loose it's sentimental value if I just bought another cylinder (if you can even find one) Now that I realize it's this other part, I can't see why I shouldn't fix it.

Hawg, thank you too. I posted it on the other forum as you suggested.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000