Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Winchester 1897 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/winchester-1897-a-75283/)

Trez 10-29-2012 05:05 PM

Winchester 1897
 
I found a Winchester 1897 (Made in 1910) that has been completely refinished, with no collector value for cheap, and was wondering if its hard or expensive to make it into the military version... Do they make a repro heat shield and bayonet mount?

How much to real military 1897's go for?

Garadex 10-29-2012 05:14 PM

We need some pictures of this gun or else it doesn't exist :p

Trez 10-29-2012 05:39 PM

I dont have pics... I just seen a ad for it today... I want to know if its worthwhile to turn it into the military version before I get it.....

KG7IL 10-29-2012 06:02 PM

Try this webpage for what you need (and the prices)
http://www.gun-parts.com/winchestershotgun/
(Second Column, almost to the bottom).

Remember that you will not have a military version, but something that reasonably will look like it.

25-5 10-29-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez
I found a Winchester 1897 (Made in 1910) that has been completely refinished, with no collector value for cheap, and was wondering if its hard or expensive to make it into the military version... Do they make a repro heat shield and bayonet mount?

How much to real military 1897's go for?

Real trench gun blue book is 3500 for 98% & 750 for 60%. Take down model. A 1897 is 1000 for 100%. 250 for 50%. 200 for 30%.

c3shooter 10-29-2012 08:12 PM

Parts? About $115, plus shipping. Bayonet- another $100.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=813820&catid=7454

Trez 10-29-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 994679)
Parts? About $115, plus shipping. Bayonet- another $100.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=813820&catid=7454

Sweet!! :)

Cutting the barrel shouldnt cost much, should it? Says I need alining notches for the bayonet mount screws?

Trez 10-29-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 994514)
Try this webpage for what you need (and the prices)
http://www.gun-parts.com/winchestershotgun/
(Second Column, almost to the bottom).

Remember that you will not have a military version, but something that reasonably will look like it.

Considering the real ones are as much as the Garand I want, and this ones been refinshed so its no longer a collectible, Im good with a repro

donthav1 11-06-2012 01:56 AM

there are 3 notches in the barrel where the heat shield screws go, should be easy enough to grind them yourself once you get the heat shield.

i kicked around the idea of doing the same thing to my old JC Higgins 12 gauge. make sure you line everything up & measure and mark about 10 times before you start cutting, just to be sure


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.