Why the Craze?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Why the Craze?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default Why the Craze?

First off I want to say I don't want to start a fight and stir up a hornet's nest. I have held, but never fired, several Mosin Nagants. I've worked the bolts and examined them, but don't see why people love them so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are good solid rifles, but what makes people so crazy about them and makes them as good as modern rifles? I love the history behind rifles and their uses when they were in action, but why the Nagant? Is it the price? Or maybe its historical significance?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

price of the rifle and ammo. they are superb shooters pretty much any mosin with a barrel that isnt counterbored or worn out will shoot at or around 1moa with a scope and handloads or good quality new ammo.

my best group with handloads with my mosin 91/30 pu sniper is 3 rounds right at .75 inches at 100yds. most of my shooting with it isnt that good but thats more me than the rifle.

most ammo is realllllly crappy surplus with huge variation in charge weights and bullet weights. but even with that all my mosins will hold right at 2-3 moa open sights.

construction is super simple and every part is totally user servicable. there is just about nothing that cant easily be repaired.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Easily obtained at low prices.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #4

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

What's not to love?

Cheap as under $100
Historically significant
Good solid "drag it behind your pickup down a dirt road,pick it up,shoot case of ammo" feel
440 round tins for $80

Not to mention you can feel the concussion AND hit your neighbors barn from two counties over,plus it just makes you giggle when all the leaves on the tree branch hanging over you come fluttering down when you light one off.

Simply put... their just good,cheap fun.

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #5

Liked 2745 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 2648

It's a combination of things. The price the history. It is a powerful cartridge for not much money which means you can afford to shoot it. They are rough, have crappy triggers and yet many of them are still quite accurate. Ammo is cheaper than dirt. Try one you'll like it. Try the M44 and shoot it in low light conditions and enjoy the fire works.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #6

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 915

It pains me to say this. (I used to have a Ruskie gun fetish..) The more mil-surps I shoot, the worse I think the Mosin is.. They have the worst triggers, sights, the safety is just plain awful, and if I shoot anything but good brass ammo, I need a 2x4 to operate the bolt...

Everybody gives me crap for liking Arisakas, but their better than a Mosin...

I dont get all the Mosin love.. Its ok, for what it is..

Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
price of the rifle and ammo. they are superb shooters pretty much any mosin with a barrel that isnt counterbored or worn out will shoot at or around 1moa with a scope and handloads or good quality new ammo.
I thought the counterbore didn't make a difference when it came to accuracy other than removing the damaged rifling.

What attracts me to the Mosin is it's history, and it's price. I LOVE the fact that I can shoot a really powerful rifle all day for very little money.
Another neat thing about the Mosin is that no two are exactly the same. They usually have a ton of stamps and marks on them, and they tell the story of that particular rifle.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiahunter View Post
First off I want to say I don't want to start a fight and stir up a hornet's nest. I have held, but never fired, several Mosin Nagants. I've worked the bolts and examined them, but don't see why people love them so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are good solid rifles, but what makes people so crazy about them and makes them as good as modern rifles? I love the history behind rifles and their uses when they were in action, but why the Nagant? Is it the price? Or maybe its historical significance?

Are you serious ?

Well here this is the best way I can explain it..............
mosin-nagant-family-chart-tree.jpg  

When all else fails.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I'd love to have one of those Remington Mosins. If I ever find one, I won't hesitate to get it.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #10

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Here ya go! http://www.gunsamerica.com/957547791/Guns/Rifles/Mosin-Nagant-Rifles-Carbines/Mosin_Nagant_Remington_Mfg_1918_US.htm

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.