Why buy cast bullets (boolits)? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Why buy cast bullets (boolits)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yeah they did, and it wasn't the Ishys that everyone sees. Those converts never left the Oueen's country as far I know. We were really competitive at one time, even with the civilians shooters.
Case length, seldom is there a need to trim this one as usually you have a case separation on the body of the cartridge on the weak part up from the rim. Yes I measure OAL case length on everything I load. Trimming is a good thing to enable uniform length/crimp of the loaded round. A poor boy, and a new loader back in the early 60s, a quick and easy test I used then to tell if a trim was needed ( a practice I no longer use as some cartridges it would be too close to a dangerous pressure build up) was if a bullet would drop freely down the neck of the case, good to go, little resistance trim time. Back then a pain in the rear as case was presed into a full length sizer, and trimed by filing whatever stuck out of the top of the die!
I'm not against neck annealing, it's a good thing. However, it does nothing to extend case life of case body failures, which is what happens. Annealing will give uniform crimp pressures and prevents work hardened case neck brass from neck splits, but it is doubtful you will face neck splits with this one.
A couple of other factors on those conversion 7.62 x51s. All were done on Mk5 No 1s. Same as the ones made into T sniper models. The sights were beautiful fancy micro, that looked like they had enough adjustment to shoot at a couple of 1000 yards. Just kidding, but they were not dainty little things.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #12

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Interesting. The link I posted showed that the 7.62 version was intended for Civilian marksmanship, but it does note the mods. . Receiver work is not one of them. The No4 is much stronger than the MKIII, so what did they do? These were all No4 rifles.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #13

Crap, there goes credibility!! I typed No.5, and truely meant No 4 Mark 1 . Roman numbers got me again! The modifications were add on material to the recevier. I can't recall if it was external, but I think it was. There is an expert that writes books on English arms that lives in Grants Pass, Oregon.
Will see if I can locate him, and find out further as to specs and dates. Had to be in the early 60s I think. They had some pretty pristine SMILEYs back then, and I owned several. I kept one, as pristine as I have seen a No.4 Mark 1-T. It even has the orginal scope, with the only defect being it is picketed post only, and suspect the cross hair that I know was a part of their scope is missing. It is respectably accurate, with about any loads used. I have not fired any of the old Choridite? stick powered military ammo in it, but everything else seems to do well. Also I didn't have a range beyond 300 yards to shoot on but groups of 1.5 MOA where easily doable with 150 to 180 grain reloads. Will have to try out some of today's better performing bullets someday, like an Amax Hornady bullet.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #14

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

I can send you a bandolier of WW2 ammo. Nothing else smells or shoots the same. A taste for ya!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default cast boolits and smle's

laufer.
british smle's nominally have .311" bores, but they vary. with cast bullets (in any rifle), best accuracy is achieved 1) when the diameter is .001-.002" greater than groove diameter and 2) if resistance is felt when the bullet is inserted nose first into the muzzle.

gas checks allow for more velocity than plain-base, but i use 17 gr of alliant 2400 in all my milsurps...for about 1500fps. they don't punish me, the gun or the brass and, offhand, will keep them on a gallon milk jug at 100yds if i do my part.

i run new .303 brit brass thru an 8mm mauser sizer to expand the case mouth, then size them in a .303 die just enough to get a "crush-fit" when chambering. the false shoulder created by necking up allows cases to fire-form without the case stretching common due to generous smle chambers. buy a stuck case remover anyway...it's one of those tools that's cheap insurance.

if it weren't for cast bullets, i doubt i'd be doing much shooting. the days of $1/lb powder and milsurp bullets for $25-50/1000 are long gone; even gas checks cost 5 times more than when i started casting as a way to get deeper into the shooting/reloading hobby over 30 years ago.

budman

Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #16

You are correct in all your statements. I used to have several .303s, of various models. I have only retained one Mark 4 No. 1 in the T sniper. In is very tight bored, and although I never slugged the bore, I have used a few .308 bullets and it maintained reasonable accuracy. Light bullets in either jacketed or cast does prolong case life, along with neck sizing only after the first firing. Your method of case forming to fit the chamber is exact same as I use. I also use this method when case forming 30-06 cases to the 30 Gibbs.
I used to lose cases with forming the Gibbs using any other method, and the crush fit using cast bullets gave some accurate plinking rounds with perfect formed cases. The fore and aft movement when the firing pin drives the case forward, followed by the rearward thrust against the bolt face really stresses the brass with the movement. I have also used the 2400 powder for reduced loads, and an old powder that used to work very good also with lighter bullets is 4759. Correct in the variance of bore sizes. A well shot one can go above .312. Slug the bore will give, and it will give at least a close
guess before you buy a bunch of moulds that will not give the best results.
Yep, it appears that cast gas checks prices are fast getting right up there with the jacketed ones. Sticker prices are pretty heart breaking from 30 years back aren't they? Still have some of that $.50 a pound 4831. You could buy it in a paper bag per pound, or in a cardboard, I think, 25 pound keg. You could load a hundred rounds for what you pay for a box of .22 LR Target. At least we had a taste of the good old days!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

oohrah,
you bring back memories with the paper bag 4831, i was more a $1/lb h-335 guy...magnums beat me up too much!

the downside of us experiencing the good old days is we now pay for the priviledge in arthritis and high cholesterol!

budman