Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Why is the Arisaka so Hated??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

All Nation's peoples hate the enemy, and hatred of former enemies take a long time to die out. I spent two years in Japan during the Korean war era and by learning a few words like please, thank you, good morning, how are you ? I was treated a damn sight better by the Japanese than by Californians when I was there before going overseas !

And I once owned a 7.7mm Type 99 Japanese rifle which was accurate, and I have been told had very strong actions. I regret trading it off long ago, I also had a Nambu pistol but could find no ammo in the US at the time and swapped it off..

I have a Russian Mosin rifle and a couple of Russian 1895 Nagant pistols and although I have never been impressed with Russia, I love their firearms, as well as my AK-47 .

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #12

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 302

One of the gentlemen at my club was a tunnel rat in vietnam and he owns an sks, mosin nagant and an ak-47...

Some people are hit harder thatn others...but it's like being afraid of a clown because you saw the movie "It."

It's just some wood and steel.....and besides, the later model riflles were crude...just shows how much they were struggling at the tail end of the war.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

The reason why I think so many people hate them is because the Japanese were brutal as hell. They were famous for torturing their POWs in ways that would make the worse Nazi in Germany look like a saint. They were also extremely brutal in their warfare.
America at the time HATED them. I was looking at an old college newspaper that was published during the war a while back, and there was a comments section for students to talk about the Japanese. Basically, everyone said they did not consider the Japanese to even be human, and that they deserved to be exterminated. That hate was passed down, and some of it is still around today. A lot of it was transferred to their guns.
Personally, I wouldn't mind having a Arisaka. If I could find one for a good price that doesn't look like it had been dragged through a swamp, and beat against a rock, I would probably get it.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK the Bataan Death March was horrific by any means. I expect many of those who experienced it had trouble forgiving and it’s their right to process it the way they choose. It is estimated 5,000 to 10,00 Filipino and 600 to 650 American prisoners of war died along the 80-mile route.

Contrast that against what the US government is accountable for dishing out.

Hiroshima – 80,000 people killed in a matter of milliseconds and another 10K to 50K injured by radiation.

Nagasaki – 70,000 people killed in a matter of milliseconds with another 75,00 injured and another several hundred thousand later dying due to radiation and fallout.

War is terrible, the strong survive and survival is often determined by our ability to forgive. Our ability to forgive wounds others have inflicted upon us is central to our healing.

You decide which one is the most abusive.

People justify all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons but in the end it is all evil.

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations .. James Madison

12E20 Special Weapons - ADM
- 12th Engr Bn - Dexheim, FRG 1973 - 1975
- 567th Engr Co. - Hanau, FRG 1975

Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #15

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Gun collectors drive up prices. It has nothing to do with the way we view an enemy. The early Imperial Carbines and Rifles are will made arms. They bring a damn good price these days. I have a Papa Nambu a pick-up from the South Pacific . Look at the price on Granpa, Papas and Baby Nambus they are very good quality and high priced. Many of the pistols were bring backs and imports made during the war. These and the Italian Jap rifles were often dangerous to fire. These Post Emperial rifles tended to be of lower quality. Like the war time KAR-98 mausers sell for lower prices. Try buying some of those Jap Swords that were used for beheading. Very expensive.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #16

Liked 676 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 678

I find it slightly funny, during the first world war, everyone "wanted" to be a Japanese POW, because they treated you so well.. To this day theres actually a large thriving German community, because the German POW's enjoyed Japan so much they decided to stay after the war..
Japan was a Allie during WWI. It wasnt until after the war when the US and British were dividing up Asia and Japan wanted a piece, that the League of Nations told them "no", so Japan called them a bunch of hypocrites, quit the League and started their "Hate of the West"

If it isnt the hatred, why are Arisaka's so cheap? Without a Mum I can get a Arisaka for less than a Mosin.. You cant tell me theres more Arisakas than Mosins??
Ive never seen a Arisaka cost over $300.. My Pre-last ditch Type 99, 100% matching, still in the military configuration, with a Mum was only $200 out the door from a shop.. I traded a broken revolver for my Type 38 carbine, again with the Mum..
Heres the pricing I see for Arisakas: $200-300 for correct rifles with the Mum, around $100 for correct rifles without the Mum, $50-$75 for sporters..

Mosins around here are going up.. Its about $200 for just a "normal" 91/30, when there on sale, they go back down to $100. When I bought my Mosin the sale price was around $75..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I find it slightly funny, during the first world war, everyone "wanted" to be a Japanese POW, because they treated you so well.. To this day theres actually a large thriving German community, because the German POW's enjoyed Japan so much they decided to stay after the war..
Japan was a Allie during WWI. It wasnt until after the war when the US and British were dividing up Asia and Japan wanted a piece, that the League of Nations told them "no", so Japan called them a bunch of hypocrites, quit the League and started their "Hate of the West"

If it isnt the hatred, why are Arisaka's so cheap? Without a Mum I can get a Arisaka for less than a Mosin.. You cant tell me theres more Arisakas than Mosins??
Ive never seen a Arisaka cost over $300.. My Pre-last ditch Type 99, 100% matching, still in the military configuration, with a Mum was only $200 out the door from a shop.. I traded a broken revolver for my Type 38 carbine, again with the Mum..
Heres the pricing I see for Arisakas: $200-300 for correct rifles with the Mum, around $100 for correct rifles without the Mum, $50-$75 for sporters..

Mosins around here are going up.. Its about $200 for just a "normal" 91/30, when there on sale, they go back down to $100. When I bought my Mosin the sale price was around $75..
Where do you keep getting your Arisakas, because I want them to send me one. (Really, I'm serious, I'd pay $100 for a decent Arisaka in an instant (well, when I have spending money in a monthe or so))

Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #18

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Where do you keep getting your Arisakas, because I want them to send me one. (Really, I'm serious, I'd pay $100 for a decent Arisaka in an instant (well, when I have spending money in a monthe or so))
^^what he said..I've never even seen an Arisaka in Western NY...Enfields are rare enough...and I really want one lol

Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 291 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I have a 7.7 Arisaka with bayonet, sling and cleaning kit in the box my Father in Law sent home to his Mother in 1945 from the South Pacific. It still has the Mum and appears to be in perfect shape. He told me that he had fired it once after he came home , cleaned it and put it back in the box. I also have a 6.5 that looks to have been at the bottom of a salt marsh. Pretty rough looking specimen. Father in Law is gone now but he told me they were both battle captured on the New Hebrides Islands.
He served on Iwo, Guadacanal (sic) and the Marrianias.
(Pardon the spellings) I took the 7.7 the the Antiques Roadshow several years ago the the appraiser said the box was worth as much as the gun. ($200.00 each.)
just my 2 cents worth here.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 291 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSenior View Post
OK the Bataan Death March was horrific by any means. I expect many of those who experienced it had trouble forgiving and it’s their right to process it the way they choose. It is estimated 5,000 to 10,00 Filipino and 600 to 650 American prisoners of war died along the 80-mile route.

Contrast that against what the US government is accountable for dishing out.

Hiroshima – 80,000 people killed in a matter of milliseconds and another 10K to 50K injured by radiation.

Nagasaki – 70,000 people killed in a matter of milliseconds with another 75,00 injured and another several hundred thousand later dying due to radiation and fallout.

War is terrible, the strong survive and survival is often determined by our ability to forgive. Our ability to forgive wounds others have inflicted upon us is central to our healing.

You decide which one is the most abusive.

People justify all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons but in the end it is all evil.
Let us not forget the millions of Chinese the Japanese killed before the official start of WW II

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.