Who else enjoys Lee-Enfields? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Who else enjoys Lee-Enfields?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I thought the "Jungle carbines" had a bad problem with "wandering zero"? Isnt that why they discontunued it in 1947, and continued the production of the longer SMLE's
Total myth on the wandering zero , a lot of time,s was not the rifle was the enviroment and wood swelling , if you carry it in a jungle all day like any wood stock they may swell and move but i did my research on that myth been debunked for many yrs , one way to find out take it to range but look for a n o5 in mint condition and i bet you never find one,Also the gibbs,s rifle co cut down a lot of old no4,s and called them no5,s they are fake,s and that had a lot to do with sight alignmnt on chopping off the barrel and calling it a no5 to people that do not know what to look for , i have spoken too many that own one over the yr,s and none ever had that problem with a legit number 5 ,so the rifle was more of an investment then a shooter,If and when i ever do fire the rifle ,im sure i would have zero probs with a wandering zero , you can read all abouyt the myth on many forum,s and book,s written on the subject . no 100% real no5,s have had that problem maybe if you get it too hot with a mad minute type of firing becasue of the lightened metal and other removal of metal could change point of impact but i go into battle i wont be carrying an old no5 bolt actiontotal myth my man look it up.i wont be firing it like the mad minute drill at anytime in my life.Ill go back to my first statement , try and find just 1 no5 like this one that has never been fired and see what ya would pay for it , the one's i could find on all gun auctions on old mil surp,s has em listed at 895.00 for rifles no where near as mint as this one.No way i was walking out that auction without that rifle for 350 bucks i could triple my money today.and i will take her apart and show you it is a 100% authentic no5 jungle carbine in 100% mint condition.only a fool would not have bought it.ill get pic,s up later you tell me where you have ever even seen one this clean or mint.If you have and you did not buy it , bad mistake.And the main reason they stopped production was because of the wicked recoil and muzzle blast these short carbines make on firing was way too much for normal infantry men to carry.In any event it is an investment not a combat rifle for 21st century.

Last edited by Milsurpshooter60; 04-15-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcfb118 View Post
Krag is smooth, I agree. The nomenclature that you identified is correct, the rifle is a re-chambered Enfield with a rear peep. The best of both worlds in IMHO. The Krag was my first military rifle. It was my grandfathers, purchased from DCM (CMP) in the early 20th Century. It is a chore to find ammo for. I have been buying a stock for years and put maybe 40 rounds through it a year.
I have to disagree on the krag being better than an enfeild in any way smoother ,accuracy , or any other way, and loading the 40 craig is a pain compared to loading an einfeild.The rough riders were armed with craig,s along with others and got their ass,s kicked by the mausers.No way i choose the krag over an enfeild.Just my opinion and historical fact.Also read up on the boer war , where the mausers outshot every other rifle in the war , i would take a mauser or an enfeild over a krag any day of the week it was all i had to choose from for any real comat scenario.That being said the krag is not junk by any mean,s, but no way i choose it over the enfeild .

Last edited by Milsurpshooter60; 04-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #53

Liked 775 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 View Post
Total myth on the wandering zero , a lot of time,s was not the rifle was the enviroment and wood swelling ......
I thought it was British military that determined the "Wardering Zero"? If it was a myth, why did they stop building them in '47 but contintued the production of other Enfields until '57?
Wouldnt the longer Enfeilds have that problem as well, as theres more wood to swell?

Just curious.. Theres gotta be a reason they only made them a couple of years... but continued the long rifle???

Last edited by Trez; 04-15-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #54

Liked 775 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 View Post
I have to disagree on the krag being better than an enfeild in any way smoother ,accuracy , or any other way, and loading the 40 craig is a pain compared to loading an einfeild.The rough riders were armed with craig,s along with others and got their ass,s kicked by the mausers.No way i choose the krag over an enfeild.Just my opinion and historical fact.Also read up on the boer war , where the mausers outshot every other rifle in the war , i would take a mauser or an enfeild over a krag any day of the week it was all i had to choose from for any real comat scenario.That being said the krag is not junk by any mean,s, but no way i choose it over the enfeild .
American guns are the best....
The best "Mauser" was made by us, so was the best "Enfield"... (1903 & 1917)

And Krags are the Smoothest bolt action ive ever handled.. I wouldnt want to take one to battle though.....

Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #55

Quote:

American guns are the best....
The best "Mauser" was made by us, so was the best "Enfield"... (1903 & 1917)

And Krags are the Smoothest bolt action ive ever handled.. I wouldnt want to take one to battle though.....
I agree krags are the unsung rifle of us military maybe we stopped them cause we knew if we mauser action our rifles with a foreign design that we would soon be at war with and not half to pay them for rights...the us never declared war on norway....still smothest and has cut off mag to enhance marksmanship...
Sorry im a krag man

Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #56

We all have our opinions , I just do not think the 30-40 is superior to either just my 2 cent,s.and i agree the p17 was by far the best enfeild mauser type action of them all to me.chambered one the best rounds ever the 06 ,and did its job well in two war,s we used it in.i would take the p17 over the 1903 springfeild personally more robust of a design and very rugged,not that the springfeilds are not great rifles just think the p17 was better,we all have our fave,s.Eddystone put out superior rifles at the time.But for Teddy rosevelt to say himself those damn mauser rifles are killing us speaks volumes on the 30-40 craig they were issued at the time.And to say the craig is a smoother bolt thAN the lee enfeild ,no way in my book but i am just 1 person.But many many experts have touted the smle as the fastess working bolt action ever made , and the brits and the mad minute drill in their volley fire mode proved what a well trained force armed with the smle can do is documented historical fact.When asked by experts what the russians feared most in afghanistan and the muji,s their reply was those damn enfeild rifles.Let history speak for itself.BUT all that aside all are great rifle,s I am no krag hater just prefer the latter.

Last edited by Milsurpshooter60; 04-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #57

Quote:
I thought it was British military that determined the "Wardering Zero"? If it was a myth, why did they stop building them in '47 but contintued the production of other Enfields until '57?
Wouldnt the longer Enfeilds have that problem as well, as theres more wood to swell?

Just curious.. Theres gotta be a reason they only made them a couple of years... but continued the long rifle???
When we first entered vietnam conflict they were armed with wood stocked m14s, they began to look for plastic composite stocks to replace them with for the same prob , of course in that enviroment any wood stocked rifle can change point of impact where as in the desert the same m14 is outstandlingly accurate ,we ended up with the m16 for that and many other reason,s , wandering zero,s in jungle climate,s was just one of the more pressing issue,s.With any wood stocked weapon.so again it was the very abusive recoil and awful muzzle blast that most normal men in the brit army could stand to use that led to the stop of production of the number 5 and they had no jungle conflict after to concern with ,but now they also shoulder a composite stock weapon in case they do.Hope that help,s answer the ? may i ask have you ever fired a no5 , its horrendously brutal if you ever do youll see my point .much more worse than even the russian m44 .i have one of each.so yea end of myth story i say.I have fired a few no5s that were others and allowed me to shoot ,brutal my man just brutal.