Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Who else enjoys Lee-Enfields? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/who-else-enjoys-lee-enfields-16179/)

Laufer 07-27-2009 08:28 AM

Who else enjoys Lee-Enfields?

Bought my first (good #5) in May from "Joesalter", and Saturday a 'mixmaster' #4 with a really shiny, bright bore at the Batesville, MS gun show.
Very satisfied with both and even the #4 was probably built in England but it is not inscribed anywhere, and some numbers only partly legible after the FTR process in '48 or '49.

Were British parts often mixed after the war with those from the Commonwealth, or even with some Savage #4 parts?

c3shooter 07-27-2009 10:17 AM

have a SMLE from 1915, and a Mk 4 from 1944. Enjoy shooting both- scored a few thousand rounds of the Greek .303 just before it started drying up.

Some good basic info over at surplusrifle.com. The numbers etched over- you may be seeing what is called a "forced match". When a gun has been thru an arsenal rebuild, parts get shuffled. Some parts (bolt in particular) should stay in the right gun (headspace) so bolt may get an "electric pencil" revision to serial number- and guns imported into the US now must be stamped with name/ address of importer, a UNIQUE serial number (not all military serial numbers were unique- some repeated)

Picked up a sword bayonet for my SMLE from Southern Ohio Gun- pretty fair shape, $29. Don't know if they still have them.

Hawg 07-27-2009 12:29 PM

I had a #1 MKIII BSA, 1916 with a slash through the original numbers and new ones added. Funny thing is the old numbers matched too. I had the gun for over 20 years and never even shot a full box through it. Sold it last year with a sheathed Wilkinson bayo for 175.00.

Laufer 07-27-2009 10:31 PM

Thanks for your interesting comments.
These LEs have become much more interesting than my Mosin Nagant 44, though it is really fun to shoot and cheap ammo is available, but the LE is my only combat rifle of 'the west'.

And the LEs have a much more widespread history around the vast British Empire/Commonwealth. Too bad about so little surplus ammo available at decent prices.

supergus 07-27-2009 11:19 PM

Yup, I love 'em! Picked this one up at a gun show for $260 with case AND matching #'s:D
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...o4MK1001-1.jpg

Last Crow 07-29-2009 06:28 PM

My only Enfield is a 2A1 made by the Rifle Factory Ishapore in 1965. It is chambered for the 7.62 X 51 NATO and has a 12 round box magazine. I bought the rifle in 1997 from a local gun store for $99.97.
Iíve only fired the rifle once. I felt sorry for the Indians who had to use this rifle. It has a good kick and weighs over 10 lbs unloaded.

Laufer 07-30-2009 01:16 AM

supergus: The wood and metal condition are excellent. You might be in luck in NH, if "joesalter" allows people to see his collection in person, and what a selection on his website. Many of the items are shipped from his Canadian business to the NH location.

Finally noticed the numbers on my bolt which match the left butt socket (receiver) numbers. My hand guard pieces are dark and the mag numbers do not match, but what a rifle...

Aren't we fortunate that more people have not discovered what one small town MS store owner called "antiques"!
Let's be grateful that so many are chasing plastic ARs and the elusive Mosin Nagant 44s.

supergus: Who built your foxy babe?

supergus 08-01-2009 12:39 AM

Foxy Babe??? you mean the gun or the car?

karlsgunbunker 08-01-2009 04:18 AM

I have 4 and I'm working on getting no 5.
2 - Savage enfields
1 - Longbranch
1 - Fazerkly

I'm working a trade for a No5 Jungle carbine.

these things are almost as addictive as my Mosins.

Laufer 08-01-2009 08:02 AM

supergus:
Your car also looks like a nice classic babe-probably built when I was in the last year of high school ('73).

Karls:
Until last April, MNs seemed like the best milsurp rifles, but it must be the cheap surplus ammo prices which keep them in the limelight.