Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > What's This Thing? G88? Please Tell Me Everything You Know... Thanks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default What's This Thing? G88? Please Tell Me Everything You Know... Thanks!

Hello,

I got it in my head today that I wanted a Mauser. I went to a few gunstores and they all wanted around $400 to $600 for one. Nope. All had bent bolt handles, too, and I wanted a straight one, being a lefty and all.

So I saw this thing in my favorite gunstore. Said "Amberg 88" or some danged thing on it. It had been sitting there for the better part of the year.

The gunstore owner said he wanted to see it gone, and he'd make me a deal. It had rust in the bore but looked OK overall.

I called up a friend who knows some about these things, told me some of what to check for. I told the gunstore owner that I'd have to come back for it after doing some research as I didn't know if it would be a wall hanger or a shooter, though I do like a project.

He told me that I know how he dislikes old milsurps. I know... too much research to find their value. He also knows how I like a project and to make an offer. I told him I didn't feel right doing so because I'd likely insult him.

He said he was thinking 50 bucks.

Not to pass up a deal, I came back with "How about 25?"

"40."

"30."

"35."

"Sold!" says I. $37.50 out the door.

I got it home and pulled it apart. One dent, very little surface rust -- just one spot on what appeared to be a hood on the barrel. The barrel was pristine under that hood. I had been afraid maybe it was rusted through.

Happily, it was not.

I was pushing what looked like mud out of the barrel, and after liberal amounts of Fluid Film and bore brushes wrapped in steel wool, it started to shine.

Not the best bore I've ever seen, but far from the worst. I've seen worse bores on Mosin-Nagants shoot well.

Here are some pics:

G88 pictures by WabashShootist - Photobucket

Now, only a couple questions are of very great importance to me: What the bloody hell is a G88, and what ammo do I shoot from it? 7.92 Mauser? I wanna make noise!

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #2

Liked 71 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Gewehr 88, commission rifle. 7.92X57

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 2878

That is the first German service rifle to use smokeless powder. The gun has a jacket around the barrel. The G88 had a .318 bore. The German army later went to a .323 bore. Modern 8X57 ammo is made for a .323 bore: Do not shoot that ammo in a gun with a .318 bore. Some of the G88 guns were rebored for .323 and issued to German troops in WWI and WWII.

BTW: You stole that nice gun. Shame, shame.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks folks.

How did I steal it? What's its approximate value?

Where do I get proper ammo for it? I'll end up reloading as I am set up for the 7.62x54R already, but popping a few off to get a feel for it would sure be nice until the dies and such arrive!

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is good people.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=59&idcategory=69

Be Well.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you.

I just slugged it four times to be sure -- it seems that the lead comes out to 0.310" x 0.316", but it's tighter at the muzzle.

To be sure, I took a 0.310" bullet (I reload for the Mosin-Nagant) and it just barely rode the lands most of the way down, then dropped.

If I'm reading things right, the throat was opened up, but maybe not the barrel, and the 0.32x" bullet swages down safely.

Or, I could be wrong.

Do I need to find 0.318" bullets?

Thank you,

Josh

Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #7

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 666

If it is re-bore for .323 it should be stamped w/ an S on the receiver. You need .318 bullets w/ the slug you have.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you JPatterson. Problem is, it is stamped with an S.

That's what I'm not quite getting.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 08-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #9

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 666

I'll mic one tonight and let you know!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks! That would be most helpful Sir.

Josh