What's a pre-64 mod. 94 worth?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > What's a pre-64 mod. 94 worth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default What's a pre-64 mod. 94 worth?

I was looking to price a cheap Mod-94 for a friend, and found out they stopped making them 2 years ago.

The last time I priced them was 5 or 6 years ago, and you could pick up a new one for $180, or a pre-64 for around $300 - $400.

They folks at Cabela's only had one, it was made in the 50's, they want $850 for it!

I'm just curious what an average pre-64 can be had for at a gun show these days?

I've got a pre-64 (not sure what year) it's not 'like new' or anything, just in average condition. No rust, good stock, but well used.

Anyone have a ballpark figure for me? I'm just curious.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

JD, What gives? I saw you had posted a reply earlier, but I didn't have time to reply to it. Now when I'm back to reply, the message is gone?

What happened?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
JD, What gives? I saw you had posted a reply earlier, but I didn't have time to reply to it. Now when I'm back to reply, the message is gone?

What happened?
I didn't pay attention to your post Jesse. I was giving you info on a model 70, not a model 94.

My bad....

Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

It's all good. I figured it was something along those lines, but was still confused.

Thanks anyway,
Jesse

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

There are so many varibles that it is hard to give a good estimate. Winchester built so many variations that makes it hard give prices without seeing pics. However standard carbines go from $350 for late model carbines to @$600 for saddlering carbines. Standard rifle go for @$800 to $1000. Of course these prices are for unaltered guns in good condition. If you will post a photo of your 94 I can give a much better estimate.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks 30-30. It might be a couple of days, but I'll get some pics for you.

Any idea how to use the serial number to tell the actuall year?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Thanks 30-30. It might be a couple of days, but I'll get some pics for you.

Any idea how to use the serial number to tell the actuall year?
Yes I have the book that gives serial numbers and year of production. If you post your serial number I will look it up for you. Also instead of using the entire serial number subsitute the last 3 numbers with x,s, example 1,498,333 try 1,498,xxx . These site are known to be monitered by people you may not want knowing what gun you own.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
Yes I have the book that gives serial numbers and year of production. If you post your serial number I will look it up for you. Also instead of using the entire serial number substitute the last 3 numbers with x,s, example 1,498,333 try 1,498,xxx . These site are known to be monitored by people you may not want knowing what gun you own.
OK, here's the serial number: 1465xxx. I did a little research on it after I first got it.

IIRC, the band that holds the front stock in place, didn't have a horizontal screw before a certain year, then after that year it did. However, it looks like this might be the older version, because although it has the horizontal screw through that band, it's apparent that someone drilled through the bottom edge of the barrel in order to make clearance for adding that screw.

Please tell me what the serial number says, I'm very curious, though I would never sell it.

I have a strict policy that once a gun is adopted into the family, it's there for life. I don't sell guns, EVER.

I have however given one away, only because it was such a piece-of-pelosi that I was embarrassed to own it.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

According to the Midas book "The Winchester Book", which is known as the bible for Winchester collectors, your carbine was built in a WWII time zone in which serial numbers werent recorded or lost. The last recorded serial number was 1317450 in 1943 then 5 years later in 1949 serial numbers were again recorded starting at serial number 15000001. What you have is a war years carbine known also as a mid range carbine. Most unaltered carbines in 80% condition usually sell for @ $500. I guess Im a little dense tonight as I dont understand what you were saying about the forearm band screw. I have or have had many 94 carbines, and early and late ones all used a horizonal screw, through the band between the barrel and magazine tube, to attach the band to the rifle. Anyway I hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
According to the Midas book "The Winchester Book", which is known as the bible for Winchester collectors, your carbine was built in a WWII time zone in which serial numbers werent recorded or lost. The last recorded serial number was 1317450 in 1943 then 5 years later in 1949 serial numbers were again recorded starting at serial number 15000001. What you have is a war years carbine known also as a mid range carbine. Most unaltered carbines in 80% condition usually sell for @ $500. I guess Im a little dense tonight as I dont understand what you were saying about the forearm band screw. I have or have had many 94 carbines, and early and late ones all used a horizonal screw, through the band between the barrel and magazine tube, to attach the band to the rifle. Anyway I hope this helps.
Helps a lot. Thanks! I'm not sure about the screw threw the band. I was thinking that when I was looking to replace that screw (mine fell out after I baught it) that I found two different 'exploded views' of the gun, one with that screw and one without. I was thinking they were different years.

What I do wonder about, is IIRC the bottom of the barrel has been relieved in order to make room for the screw. Is that normal?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!