Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Whats the deal with the Dragunov?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/whats-deal-dragunov-42821/)

Trez 05-21-2011 03:23 PM

Whats the deal with the Dragunov??

Why is it a actual Russian SVD's go for over $3,000, but you can buy the clones like the PSL for $600-$700. Ive heard its because they can no longer be imported. Which I dont understand, the clones are still imported, and if it has to do with it being a Russian gun, why are so many other Russian guns out there and mostly for cheap? I woulda thought the SVD's went to all the same countrys as the Mosins and SKS's?? :confused:

jpattersonnh 05-21-2011 04:24 PM

The SVD and Romanian PSL are 2 totally different rifles. The PSL is an overgrown AK. There are many different PSL's also. Ones made at the Cugir arsenal, kits that use original Romanian receivers, and U.S. rifles w/ some Romanian parts. The Vast majority are the last. The Difference in price between Catagory 1 and catagory 3 can be over $700.00. I bought mine way back when, with the scope for $369.00(Actually I bought 2 for $700.00 shipped, My oldest son has the second). It is a 1400.00 rifle now. The new parts kit guns sell for $699.00 without a scope. Pretty steep. Mine is a 1977 built rifle.
Soviet arms can be imported, but not from Russia.

Trez 05-21-2011 06:38 PM

Ok, I always thought a SVD was a overgrown AK? Whats the difference?

Still, why so few SVD's and so many other Russian guns? Did the Russians not send them to any allies like their other guns? So, there all stuck in Russia, and cant be imported? :confused: Im sorry, but I just dont understand why the SVD's are so rare, and other Russian guns are everywhere....

jpattersonnh 05-21-2011 07:04 PM

SVD's are still used by the Russians and other gov'ts. They are not obselete. Since the fall of com-blok the Romanians are freindly w/ the west and use standard Nato snipers. SVD uses a short stroke piston, the PSL a long stroke.
Soviet SVD:
Dragunov sniper rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trez 05-21-2011 07:39 PM

Gottcha!! That makes sense... :)

jpattersonnh 05-21-2011 08:02 PM

If you lived closer, I'd let you try mine. Outstanding!!!
What makes the PSL so great is they are still cheap to shoot for a high powered cartridge. (1904 design)

Trez 05-31-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixor12 (Post 514920)
an original colt sAA with 10% of its original finish is a $2500 gun, with 90% of its finish, it's a $25,000 gun, and nobody can agree what is 10 vs 20% of finish, or 80 vs 90%, either.

....And whats that got to do with the price of tea in China?
Nobody was talking about condition, but two different guns.... Heck, I would take a SVD just dug outta the frozen Russian tundra if I could find one. I would say its more political BS than "collectors"