What would you pay for a LE "Jungle Carbine"? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > What would you pay for a LE "Jungle Carbine"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

SOG had them a lil while back for 150bucks...still way to much for one...wouldnt be a bad deal for 10 of them

Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
If you were still fairly new to buying or owning guns, and the only milsurps are a pair MN 44, what would you pay for a good-looking rifle which must be durable, reliable, whether an original (V) or imitation, modified IV or a later copy?

Have not shopped yet, but my rifles are only for having fun, not 'storage investments', shooting out to about 50 yards or much less.
About how much more would an originally modified series IV or authentic V in very good condition cost compared to a later copy?
Have only looked at Gunbroker and a few others for general ideas, but the conditions must be a bit subjective.

Thank you for any advice.
The price fluctuates all over the place. The reason you might have someone tell you $450 and another say $140 is because those little carbines have always been collector items which makes them a prime candidate for counterfeiters. I would guess that half or more of the so called Jungle Carbines are not real issued carbines. If you just want one to shoot, then buy the cheapest one you can find. (the do shoot just great and the two I have are both very accurate.) (Mine are real ones)
Sarge
Sarge

Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #13

Today on the benchrest, the #5 (all-match.) which arrived in '09 from "Joesalter" did an ok group (for my skills), near the bull's eye at 50 yards with my reloads.

Somehow when sitting on the ground with no extra support, got a three-shot string which measures about 2 1/2".
A second short string has the three holes almost touching, less than 1 1/2" in length.
Can't figure out why these shot 'mini groups' were much better than from the benchrest. My first hunt should be next spring in TX, with this gun, for feral pigs with a very seasoned pig hunter (co-worker) who retired from the Navy Marks. Team and set AR records from 200 & 600 yards.

As for prices on other Enfield series, I just hope that there might be two or three good, "non-sport." Enfield #4s (average prices) at the Ft. Worth show on Sunday, Jan 2nd. If so, maybe one or two have matching bolts/actions.
It will be my first show far outside the Memphis area.

As "non-sport." Enfields in this area are very rare (shows and shops), my second #5 is all-matching and was only listed at $350 in Sept '09 at the show.

Last edited by Laufer; 12-22-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 PM   #14

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not only are No5 MKIs (Jungle Carbines) very collectable now, they are great little guns. $500/$700 is not out of line for a legit one in 98% or better condition. Real examples will only continue to go up in value. I sold this one to a noted gun writer and miss it.
dsc05003.jpg   dsc05007.jpg   dsc05009.jpg  

Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10278 Times on 4434 Posts
Likes Given: 1630

Not an expert on the Enfield, but a couple of points to look for-

A No. 5 will be electro-engraved “No5MKI” on the left side of the receiver and will not have “No. 4” stamped or engraved anywhere on it. It will bear the proper manufacturer’s code: “(ROF)F” for Fazakerley or “M47C” for BSA-Shirley. The barrel band will be only 8 inches in front of the receiver ring--rather than 10-3/4 inches as on a No. 4 rifle. The ball on the bolt handle is drilled out, and there are scallops cut from the barrel right above the chamber, and the receiver and trigger guard have metal milled away to lighten the rifle. Pull the upper handguard, and barrel should look like this:
jungle-carbine.jpg

BTW- no good deed goes unpunished. The rubber buttplate, intended to educe recoil, has a smaller area than the metal buttplatte, and increases felt recoil.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #16

&&& GOOD GAWD,, the recoil !!