Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   What will be the next C&R rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/what-will-next-c-r-rifle-99692/)

JayCody 10-30-2013 02:02 AM

What will be the next C&R rifle?

Is the mosin nagant the last c&r rifle, since most of the modern military rifles are Full auto? what will be the next c&r rifle, perhaps a mil surp semi auto m16?

texaswoodworker 10-30-2013 02:18 AM

C&R refers to ALL guns (excluding NFA) that are a certain age old (IIRC, 50 years), not just milsurps. So no, the Mosin is FAR from the last C&R. Most of the guns being made today will eventually fall into that category unless the laws change. A Remington 700 made today? It will be a C&R in 50 years.

From the ATF website.
Quote:

Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
Now then, as for military C&R, the answer is still no. There are still semi auto and bolt action rifles (not to mention shotguns and handguns) being used by forces all around the world.

JayCody 10-30-2013 02:20 AM

Sorry I meant milsurp, I should have been more clear. Can you name some of them?

nitestalker 10-30-2013 02:34 AM

We are nearing the end with the importation of Mosin-Nagants and SKS Communist Block firearms. The Mausers, Springfields, Enfields, Colts, Lugers Walthers the trophys of wars past are about gone. The Anti-Military arms laws following the Kennedy assassination will also limit many future imports.
There are hundreds of M-1 Carbines and Garands being held up by the Democratic controlled Congress and Obama.:(

texaswoodworker 10-30-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCody (Post 1417420)
Sorry I meant milsurp, I should have been more clear. Can you name some of them?

For starters...

Beretta M9
SIG Sauer M11
Colt 1911

Mossberg 500
Mossberg 590
Remington 870
Benelli M4

M40
M39 EMR
M25
M24
M21 SWS

musketshooter 10-30-2013 09:57 PM

I believe all the arsenals and armories in the world have been scavanged for old guns. I don't think there are any C&R type guns in quantity left to be imported. Class 3 guns will never be allowed to be imported.

jpattersonnh 10-31-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1417430)
We are nearing the end with the importation of Mosin-Nagants and SKS Communist Block firearms. The Mausers, Springfields, Enfields, Colts, Lugers Walthers the trophys of wars past are about gone. The Anti-Military arms laws following the Kennedy assassination will also limit many future imports.
There are hundreds of M-1 Carbines and Garands being held up by the Democratic controlled Congress and Obama.:(

Fact Brother. Korea wants to give them back. Something like 1 Million total.

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1417433)
For starters...

Beretta M9
SIG Sauer M11
Colt 1911

Mossberg 500
Mossberg 590
Remington 870
Benelli M4

M40
M39 EMR
M25
M24
M21 SWS

Problem is C&R is not 50 years. It is when they are obsolete. The only firearms that are a sure thing are ones made before 1898 or ones that are on the C&R list, listed by the ATF. The issue with more modern rifles, is that the receiver needs to be replaced to make it normal person legal. Having changed the receiver makes it ineligible for C&R. If you take the 50 year rule literally a pre 1964 M70, should be C&R. It will never happen.

Mercator 11-01-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCody (Post 1417420)

The SKS. It has never been select fire.

towboater 11-01-2013 12:41 AM

Yep. It's gotta be on their list for it to be C&R.

jpattersonnh 11-01-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1419377)
The SKS. It has never been select fire.

It is on the list