what can i do?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > what can i do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what can i do?

i found a 1928 thompson submachine gun 45cal in a wooden case the person doesnt have papers with it .Is there anyway to to get the papers needed to buy it and sell to a collector/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good luck with that

Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Not to give you a short answer, but no. In the US, full auto weapons other than law enforcement and military had to be papered (registered with the BATFE) by May 1986, and no additional full autos can be registered. Which is why the selling price of LEGAL full autos has gone thru the roof, and is passing the clouds. Possession of an unregistered full auto can carry a penalty of 10 yrs and (I think) $250,000. Anyone (like the executor of an estate) that finds one must surrender it to the BATFE. Sorry man. But no.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

It's illegal even if you don't get caught. It only hurts if you get caught. Then it hurts a lot! If there were papers on the weapon that have been lost, it may be possible to get duplicates from ATF and transfer the MG. i believe an heir can legally transfer a MG after the registered owner's death.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Robo- there are special rules for the transfer of a legal, papered Class III by the EXECUTOR of an estate to an inheritor- but it must already be legal, papered. Talking with some of the folks from the BATFE about 2 weeks ago, and they agreed it is a shame, but as some of the older generation passes away, there are more and more NFA arms showing up (Marble Game Getters, Ithaca Auto-Burglars, etc) that have never been papered- and cannot be- they must be surrendered to BATFE.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1trucker View Post
i found a 1928 thompson submachine gun 45cal in a wooden case the person doesnt have papers with it .Is there anyway to to get the papers needed to buy it and sell to a collector/
A1 - I am sorry brother, but this is something you can't get around legally.

C3 is right. If the EXECUTOR isn't around to be able to bequeth the weapon, OR you couldn't pass the background check, the weapon should be surrendered.

Which is a crying shame because that sounds like a real nice piece....

Old 04-02-2008, 02:06 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ya could throw the reciever away and part that sucker out for some $$$$

Old 09-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #8

Default No

Throw it in the river. Or maybe you can afford the $10,000 fine and 10 years in the Federal Pen and oh yah, a rap sheet to boot. The grace period to register these class III weapons has long since passed and do not hold your breath for another one with all the liberals running around.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:25 AM   #9

Like someone said, part it out. It's a shame to do so, but it's a far bigger shame to spend a few years at Club Fed.

I'd strip as much off it and surrender the receiver to the ATF. The receiver is the illegal; all other parts (to the best of my knowledge) are legal and worth some money.

I am not an expert, but you should be able to cut the receiver just behind the barrel and salvage the barrel...most kits for sale have a 1/2 inch stub of the receiver attached to the barrel. Demilled receivers are legally for sale but their torch cut in at least 3-4 pieces.

Not worth the risk....

Old 11-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Just curious, could it be converted to semi and then be kept?