Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (
-   -   what can i do? (

a1trucker 03-26-2008 12:40 AM

what can i do?
i found a 1928 thompson submachine gun 45cal in a wooden case the person doesnt have papers with it .Is there anyway to to get the papers needed to buy it and sell to a collector/

Righteous 03-26-2008 12:46 AM

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good luck with that

c3shooter 03-26-2008 04:30 PM

Not to give you a short answer, but no. In the US, full auto weapons other than law enforcement and military had to be papered (registered with the BATFE) by May 1986, and no additional full autos can be registered. Which is why the selling price of LEGAL full autos has gone thru the roof, and is passing the clouds. Possession of an unregistered full auto can carry a penalty of 10 yrs and (I think) $250,000. Anyone (like the executor of an estate) that finds one must surrender it to the BATFE. Sorry man. But no.:eek:

robocop10mm 03-27-2008 06:17 PM

It's illegal even if you don't get caught. It only hurts if you get caught. Then it hurts a lot! If there were papers on the weapon that have been lost, it may be possible to get duplicates from ATF and transfer the MG. i believe an heir can legally transfer a MG after the registered owner's death.

c3shooter 04-01-2008 11:41 PM

Robo- there are special rules for the transfer of a legal, papered Class III by the EXECUTOR of an estate to an inheritor- but it must already be legal, papered. Talking with some of the folks from the BATFE about 2 weeks ago, and they agreed it is a shame, but as some of the older generation passes away, there are more and more NFA arms showing up (Marble Game Getters, Ithaca Auto-Burglars, etc) that have never been papered- and cannot be- they must be surrendered to BATFE.

Dillinger 04-01-2008 11:50 PM


Originally Posted by a1trucker (Post 20050)
i found a 1928 thompson submachine gun 45cal in a wooden case the person doesnt have papers with it .Is there anyway to to get the papers needed to buy it and sell to a collector/

A1 - I am sorry brother, but this is something you can't get around legally.

C3 is right. If the EXECUTOR isn't around to be able to bequeth the weapon, OR you couldn't pass the background check, the weapon should be surrendered. :(

Which is a crying shame because that sounds like a real nice piece....

Righteous 04-02-2008 02:06 AM

ya could throw the reciever away and part that sucker out for some $$$$

ptrumble1 09-15-2008 03:05 PM

Throw it in the river. Or maybe you can afford the $10,000 fine and 10 years in the Federal Pen and oh yah, a rap sheet to boot. The grace period to register these class III weapons has long since passed and do not hold your breath for another one with all the liberals running around.

beeman 09-18-2008 12:25 AM

Like someone said, part it out. It's a shame to do so, but it's a far bigger shame to spend a few years at Club Fed.

I'd strip as much off it and surrender the receiver to the ATF. The receiver is the illegal; all other parts (to the best of my knowledge) are legal and worth some money.

I am not an expert, but you should be able to cut the receiver just behind the barrel and salvage the barrel...most kits for sale have a 1/2 inch stub of the receiver attached to the barrel. Demilled receivers are legally for sale but their torch cut in at least 3-4 pieces.

Not worth the risk....

Benning Boy 11-08-2008 09:38 PM

Just curious, could it be converted to semi and then be kept?:confused:

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.