Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Wasp spray (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/wasp-spray-30998/)

teaberryeagle 08-28-2010 10:35 AM

Wasp spray

Here is an e-mail letter I received from a Doctor friend of mine. Just another possible protection method, especially for women or those who won't own a gun. But, you should read about this statement in the www.snopes.com to view more aspects about it. May contain some legal remifications.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6650350

================================================== ====
Subject: Wasp Spray

I know some of you own GUNS but this is something to think about...---

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray-
A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you.

The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote.

She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh?

It will also kill a WASP.!!!! :D

TheOldMan 08-28-2010 11:02 AM

Good to know.. Thanks for sharing that.

mike2010 08-30-2010 03:47 AM

Stick with the PEPPER SPRAY!

I appreciate that blogs like this one are sharing proactive safety ideas. Thatís a good thing. However, there is an issue with WASP spray. WASP spraysí labels state, "Itís a violation of federal law to use in any manner inconsistent with this label. Never Use Indoors!Ē Police departments worldwide use pepper spray because the inflammatory effects of this agent work on those which cannot feel pain (very important). The inflammatory effects of pepper spray cause eyes to close involuntarily and produce a loss of breath sensation. Pepper spray has been proven effective on deterring and incapacitating aggressive, combative, intoxicated and drug induced individuals for over 20 years.
To date, no human testing has been conducted on WASP spray and itís a violation of federal law to use in self defense. There are many home defense pepper spray options which will deploy up to 25 feet and unlike WASP sprays, these pepper sprays do not require the user to be as accurate because their spray pattern will cover an entire doorway. It's not a good idea to use WASP spray for home protection since it is against the law and WASP spray labels themselves state "NEVER USE INDOORS". Pepper spray is a safe, proven option which is trusted and relied upon by police officers worldwide.

danf_fl 08-30-2010 08:45 AM

"Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh?

It will also kill a WASP.!!!! "

Did OP mean the flying wasp, or the White Anglo Saxon Protestant?

teaberryeagle 08-30-2010 06:05 PM

Wasp spray

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2010 (Post 341043)
I appreciate that blogs like this one are sharing proactive safety ideas. Thatís a good thing. However, there is an issue with WASP spray. WASP spraysí labels state, "Itís a violation of federal law to use in any manner inconsistent with this label. Never Use Indoors!Ē Police departments worldwide use pepper spray because the inflammatory effects of this agent work on those which cannot feel pain (very important). The inflammatory effects of pepper spray cause eyes to close involuntarily and produce a loss of breath sensation. Pepper spray has been proven effective on deterring and incapacitating aggressive, combative, intoxicated and drug induced individuals for over 20 years.
To date, no human testing has been conducted on WASP spray and itís a violation of federal law to use in self defense. There are many home defense pepper spray options which will deploy up to 25 feet and unlike WASP sprays, these pepper sprays do not require the user to be as accurate because their spray pattern will cover an entire doorway. It's not a good idea to use WASP spray for home protection since it is against the law and WASP spray labels themselves state "NEVER USE INDOORS". Pepper spray is a safe, proven option which is trusted and relied upon by police officers worldwide.

================================================== ===
Thanks for your response......but, that's why I included the Snopes.com link for you to peruse.......it, also describes some of the issues you mentioned..

snopes.com: Wasp Spray

Flint Rock 08-30-2010 08:06 PM

I would never recommend wasp spray as a standard defensive tool. That said, it is a option/tool that you put in your mental tool box. My defensive tool box contains handguns, long guns, batons, tasers, knives, hands and feet, and hopefully enough gray matter to keep me from needing any of those things. If life catches me without any of those tools; an ink pen, a ball bat, a stick, a rock, or maybe even a can of wasp spray might just get called up to the big leagues. If your life is in danger, use what you have at hand to save yourself.

Benning Boy 08-31-2010 05:05 AM

Why is this in C&R? Is it a 50 year old can of wasp spray?

big shrek 09-03-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2010 (Post 341043)
I appreciate that blogs like this one are sharing proactive safety ideas. That’s a good thing. However, there is an issue with WASP spray. WASP sprays’ labels state, "It’s a violation of federal law to use in any manner inconsistent with this label. Never Use Indoors!” Police departments worldwide use pepper spray because the inflammatory effects of this agent work on those which cannot feel pain (very important). The inflammatory effects of pepper spray cause eyes to close involuntarily and produce a loss of breath sensation. Pepper spray has been proven effective on deterring and incapacitating aggressive, combative, intoxicated and drug induced individuals for over 20 years.
To date, no human testing has been conducted on WASP spray and it’s a violation of federal law to use in self defense. There are many home defense pepper spray options which will deploy up to 25 feet and unlike WASP sprays, these pepper sprays do not require the user to be as accurate because their spray pattern will cover an entire doorway. It's not a good idea to use WASP spray for home protection since it is against the law and WASP spray labels themselves state "NEVER USE INDOORS". Pepper spray is a safe, proven option which is trusted and relied upon by police officers worldwide.

If you have to use something non-standard on a Bad Guy...your simple statement should be,
"I just grabbed the first thing close to hand...it just happened to be Wasp spray".
Which, if you are using Wasp Spray instead of a Glock/1911/etc...you have bigger problems at hand anyway.

On the other hand, if some rookie cop tried to actually arrest and prosecute someone for defending themselves from a Bad Guy with Wasp Spray...not only would the media crucify him...but so would his friends, relatives and especially his co-workers.
There is nothing more cruel than fellow LEO's torturing a dumb bunny recruit when they do something stupid ;)

patret 09-11-2010 02:38 AM

Wasp spray will deter dogs. I have found it better than pepper spray. Some people have said it will kill dogs if sprayed on the head. I consider it a tool just like a firearm or pepper spray. Laws are great in some situations. Past that, I believe a person has a right to defend themselves with whatever available.

patret

nwrednk 09-11-2010 11:10 AM

The shelf life...

Quote:

Originally Posted by patret (Post 348558)
Wasp spray will deter dogs. I have found it better than pepper spray. Some people have said it will kill dogs if sprayed on the head. I consider it a tool just like a firearm or pepper spray. Laws are great in some situations. Past that, I believe a person has a right to defend themselves with whatever available.

patret

Of wasp spray is short lived like some pesticides like "malathion"...but, I
strongly suggest a less lethal method like pepper spray or even better &
cheaper is the use of "skunk scent" spray to deter stray pets! (The skunk
scent) will also "target the careless owners of the stray pet"! (It's the
careless owners who are to blame)! (The pet will not suffer as much from
the stench as much as the owner when the pet spreads the stink through-
out their house & even their car if the windows are rolled down)! I still have
enough "triple strength skunk scent" to deal with the next case of cat
hoarders!!!:)