Vintage rifle shoot
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Vintage rifle shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Vintage rifle shoot

My younger sister told me about this a few yrs ago. Military rifle shoot that a few folks put together once a month near Columbus Oh. Started out with a handful of guys and then once word got out it grew. Heres the deal. Milsurp rifle of ww1, ww2, korean and vietnam era. Bolt or semi auto. No optics. No sporters. Everyone ponies up 5 bucks to the "kittie". Shooter with best overall score wins 1/2. Other half goes toward paying for targets/range maintenance. Will get further info from my sis asap and post. Just wondered if members here hold similar friendly competitions where they live. Sounds like a blast to me.

100_1965.jpg  

Springfield 1911: Like American express, Don't leave home without it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There's a range about 15 or so miles south of me that does something similar, but it's more of milsurp shooters getting together for fun/friendly competition. Their range membership covers the targets and range maint. I guess. When I heard about it about 6 months ago there were no money winnings. I haven't gotten around to trying to get together with them yet, but I have no excuse; I think the sign up fee is like $50 with a $20 dollar monthly, total of $70 to sign up (fee+first month). IIRC

Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #3

Club I belonged to before I moved had a yearly "Milsurp Bolt Action" shoot.
Had to be an as-issued milsurp, any country, no optics, standard sights, bolt action.
We shot a slightly modified 3 position course of fire. (They allowed us old farts to get prone before the timer started.)
The rapid fire (with reloads) events were usually taken by Swiss K31's.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #4

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadin View Post
Club I belonged to before I moved had a yearly "Milsurp Bolt Action" shoot.
Had to be an as-issued milsurp, any country, no optics, standard sights, bolt action.
We shot a slightly modified 3 position course of fire. (They allowed us old farts to get prone before the timer started.)
The rapid fire (with reloads) events were usually taken by Swiss K31's.
Using surplus ammo, the K31 wins every time. My Swedes are nice, but the Swiss k31 is a marval. I do have 1 M38 Swede that is slick as glass, butt ugly but it is fast and accurate. Sadly the K31 beats it. From a sheer point score, not rapid fire. 5 Swede 6.5x55 beat 5 Swiss 7.5x55 every time.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

We have something similar in Finland too, it´s a traditional rifle competition run by reservist organizations throughout the country. Only bolt-action milsurp rifles are allowed, usually any country but can be narrowed down to only Finnish issued rifles, open sights, original style slings allowed, 2 or 3 positions, distances varies from 100 to 300 meters. Attendance fees are small and there are some sort of prizes to the winners.

Haven´t tried it yet, as I don´t have a suitable rifle but I´ve been window shopping for a Mosin

Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #6

I love the 6.5x55 Swede!! My first was a M1894/14 Carbine (it made it to this country before they started welding that ridiculous "barrel extension" onto them.) Wish I still had it. I used to love shooting it with surplus rifle ammo. Quite a muzzle flash.
Speaking of muzzle flash, I've always wanted a M40 in 8x63. I understand they were/are quite a handful....

Dean

Old 09-22-2011, 01:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
We have something similar in Finland too, it´s a traditional rifle competition run by reservist organizations throughout the country. Only bolt-action milsurp rifles are allowed, usually any country but can be narrowed down to only Finnish issued rifles, open sights, original style slings allowed, 2 or 3 positions, distances varies from 100 to 300 meters. Attendance fees are small and there are some sort of prizes to the winners.

Haven´t tried it yet, as I don´t have a suitable rifle but I´ve been window shopping for a Mosin
Here is one to look for! Finnish M28/76 7.62X54R 27in Target Rifle. Very good condition

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
That looks awesome! I had never seen a M28/76 before. After short googling I found out why: for some reason the FDF sold most of the M28/76s abroad and only few were sold in Finland. I found one after searching a bit, but the seller was asking over 1300$ for it, which is way more than what I´m ready to pay for a Mosin. When I get one, I guess I´ll just buy an ordinary "Finn".

Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Ha Ha!! That is pretty durn sweet, but for me it would be a case of having invested more money than its worth.

A guy tried to sell his Geo Metro down the street from me, and always keeping an eye out for a good deal I asked how much he wanted. 10k. I'm not kidding. He had installed leather seats, some fake would trim, power windows, sharp chrome baby moon wheels, remote start, keyless entry, air ride suspension (not the hoppy kind) and as he said "the engine was rebuilt and souped up to make it probably the strongest 3 cylinder on the road!" The thing was really nice as could be, sharpest Metro on the road I'm sure. But I couldn't help but laugh as I asked him "Why didn't you just buy a used Lexus to begin with?"

Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Ha Ha!! That is pretty durn sweet, but for me it would be a case of having invested more money than its worth.

A guy tried to sell his Geo Metro down the street from me, and always keeping an eye out for a good deal I asked how much he wanted. 10k. I'm not kidding. He had installed leather seats, some fake would trim, power windows, sharp chrome baby moon wheels, remote start, keyless entry, air ride suspension (not the hoppy kind) and as he said "the engine was rebuilt and souped up to make it probably the strongest 3 cylinder on the road!" The thing was really nice as could be, sharpest Metro on the road I'm sure. But I couldn't help but laugh as I asked him "Why didn't you just buy a used Lexus to begin with?"
That rifle is worth every dime! It is not a "military" rifle, but an accurized gem. You could hunt w/ it with complete confidance. Finn Mosin nagants are a huge step up in accuracy and quality, The 28/76 takes it up a few more notches. Way back centerfire rifles were used for the biathlon, the Swede's made the best. This was an attempt to beat them, but sadly the Olympic commitee changed it to .22lr.
History: The sport has its origins in an exercise for Norwegian soldiers, as an alternative training for the military. The world's first known ski club, the Trysil Rifle and Ski Club, was formed in Norway in 1861 to promote national defense at the local level.
Called military patrol, the combination of skiing and shooting was contested at the Olympic Winter Games in 1924, and then demonstrated in 1928, 1936, and 1948, but did not regain Olympic recognition then, as the small number of competing countries disagreed on the rules. During the mid-1950s, however, biathlon was introduced into the Soviet and Swedish winter sport circuits and was widely enjoyed by the public. This newfound popularity aided the effort of having biathlon gain entry into the Winter Olympics.
The first World Championship in biathlon was held in 1958 in Austria, and in 1960 the sport was finally included in the Olympic Games. At Albertville in 1992, women were first allowed in Olympic biathlon.
The competitions from 1958 to 1965 used high-power centerfire such as .30-06 Springfield and 7.62x51mm NATO, and so on, before the .22 Long Rifle rimfire cartridge was standardized in 1978. The ammunition was carried in a belt worn around the competitor's waist. The sole event was the men's 20 km individual, encompassing four separate ranges and firing distances of 100 m, 150 m, 200 m, and 250 m. The target distance was reduced to 150 m with the addition of the relay in 1966. The shooting range was further reduced to 50 m in 1978 with the mechanical targets making their debut at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.