Very very very old pistol - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Very very very old pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
So whacha gonna do with your five bucks? Pretty much what they said and what I said on the other forum you posted it on. The match lock was used in the 1400's then the wheel lock in the mid 1500's then the snaphaunce into the 1600's. It was none of those. At best a center hammer flintlock boot pistol but most likely percussion. It could have been used as a muff pistol but I doubt many ladies were on a grave robbing detail or archaeological dig. Muff pistols were used in the mid 1700's through the mid 1800's.
I'll keep the 5 bucks then
Hawg, thanks for your activity in my topic on both forums.
Your information is useful as well.

Kind regards.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #12

That pistol may not be much in the rusted state it"s in but those pictures of it are EXCELLENT.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #13

I agree with c3shooter. The barrel of the weapon seems a little too long for a ladies purse. I think it is a percussion unit also. I would guess it was a gentlemans easily concealed weapon.Similar weapons were handed into my local Police stn, when we had a gun amnesty, and no action would be taken against folk who illegaly held these weapons.
As for where It was found, don't believe what you found, came from there.
I collect found items from the Roman times in the U.K. I was metal detecting in a field, far, far away from any known Roman settlement, and found a silver Roman coin, many miles away from the nearest Roman areas, I also found Anglo Romano, and Samian ware pottery, I also found Elizabethan, and Georgeon coins on the same site. I can only guess that there may have been a Roman settlement near a road, and Elizabethan and Georgeon travellers used the same road, and may have stayed at a building built on the same site as the Roman settlement, and so it goes on, heck, thinking about it, I too may have dropped a coin in the field, about a year ago whilst detecting, and so it goes on.
Was this rellic found on/near a known settlement, or road. I think a little more intell is needed on this.
Jungleman.

Last edited by jungleman; 04-18-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
I agree with c3shooter. The barrel of the weapon seems a little too long for a ladies purse. I think it is a percussion unit also. I would guess it was a gentlemans easily concealed weapon.Similar weapons were handed into my local Police stn, when we had a gun amnesty, and no action would be taken against folk who illegaly held these weapons.
As for where It was found, don't believe what you found, came from there.
I collect found items from the Roman times in the U.K. I was metal detecting in a field, far, far away from any known Roman settlement, and found a silver Roman coin, many miles away from the nearest Roman areas, I also found Anglo Romano, and Samian ware pottery, I also found Elizabethan, and Georgeon coins on the same site. I can only guess that there may have been a Roman settlement near a road, and Elizabethan and Georgeon travellers used the same road, and may have stayed at a building built on the same site as the Roman settlement, and so it goes on, heck, thinking about it, I too may have dropped a coin in the field, about a year ago whilst detecting, and so it goes on.
Was this rellic found on/near a known settlement, or road. I think a little more intell is needed on this.
Jungleman.
The pistol was dug about 50 km from a settlement (it found in 1756). Maybe someone had been on that site and lost the pistol, but what that person might doing there if the Taino Indians hadn't lived in that place for over 250 years and they didn't produce any gold things. It was well known by 17 centh.