Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > US government sells WW2 rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default US government sells WW2 rifles

I wonder how a regular guy could get his hands on one of these fine rifles. I have heard of this program. Anybody gone thru the steps ?

http://www.businessinsider.com/if-you-want-a-classic-ww2-rifle-the-government-is-selling-2012-8

NEVER FORGET

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #2

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

For the best info, go to their website- http://odcmp.com/sales.htm

The CMP is govt affiliated. You must meet the elibibility criteria. Only rifle for standard sale is the M1 Garand- others are sold out, or auction only. Least expensive looks like $525 plus shipping. It USED to be one per lifetime, but no longer true.

READ the definition of grades. Rifle will meet or exceed those standards. Send paperwork, payment, and when you pass background check, rifle is shipped directly to you.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

That's aboit half price for a shooting garand isn't it?

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Price depends on quality, but that is less than I see most Garands go for. The lower grades are shooters, higher grades are collectors. All will have been through a tech inspection, have worn parts replaced, etc.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #5

Liked 612 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 572

Not necessarily.... It could be a Korean era one!

I really wish the CMP carried the M1 I want.... Im gonna have to pay the "sucker" price for one..

Last edited by Trez; 09-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Have always wanted a Garand in my safe. I am seriously thinking about doing a road trip over to Camp Perry. After looking over the paper work i see at the bottom it says "i certify that i am a member of a CMP affiliate gun club and to have proof of such.

So if I am not a member of a gun club thats an affiliate i cannot buy one? Is this a correct assumption?

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #7

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
Not necessarily.... It could be a Korean era one!

I really wish the CMP carried the M1 I want.... Im gonna have to pay the "sucker" price for one..
I thought your medusa shot everything you ever wanted?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #8

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 32

fmj: there are a couple ways to qualify for the CMP purchase. One is joing a local gun club that is on their good guys list or join the Garand Collectors Association ($25/year) and have them put you on their list of qualified people. You will additionally need to send CMP proof of citizenship before they will sell guns or ammo to you. The GCA puts out a magazine a few times a year which is pretty good. I took the second route but have not bought anything from them yet. I have been patiently hitting the gun shows and pawn shops and now have 4 of them. I have never paid more than $650 for any of them and one came with all the CMP documentation.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
fmj: there are a couple ways to qualify for the CMP purchase. One is joing a local gun club that is on their good guys list or join the Garand Collectors Association ($25/year) and have them put you on their list of qualified people. You will additionally need to send CMP proof of citizenship before they will sell guns or ammo to you. The GCA puts out a magazine a few times a year which is pretty good. I took the second route but have not bought anything from them yet. I have been patiently hitting the gun shows and pawn shops and now have 4 of them. I have never paid more than $650 for any of them and one came with all the CMP documentation.
Hmmm, may have to join the GCA. None of the "local" ranges are on the list. Plenty of high schools with shooting teams, but i doubt i qualify there. I am waiting to hear back from the gun club my family was a major part of when i was a kid. I was in contact with a guy that said i may qualify due to my former experience shooting DCM competition in my youth.

If i can get the paper work issues out i will take a trip over to camp perry...maybe 4 hour drive and pick my own.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
fmj

**edit**

after going over the website a couple more times. It emphasizes time and again that you MUST be a member of an affiliated club. You also have to have proof of some sort of organized shooting activity.