Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   U-Fix-Em (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/u-fix-em-94005/)

zaitsev44 07-16-2013 07:57 PM

U-Fix-Em
 
I'm thinking about getting a Type 53 U-Fix-Em from Century if my current Mosin deal doesn't go through. For $60 you can't go wrong. Plus I'm contemplating on getting a C&R license. What should I watch out for with the U-Fix-Ems? I've seen some that the only thing wrong with them is they're missing a few screws or even just a cracked hand guard.

ndfi78 07-16-2013 08:07 PM

So I guess you have to have an FFL to order a U-Fix-Em online? Or am I missing something.

mountainman13 07-16-2013 08:07 PM

The question to ask is, can you get those screws or a new handguard?

zaitsev44 07-16-2013 08:11 PM

The acquisition shouldn't be a problem, but the price might. There are plenty of sources for those parts: eBay, Liberty Tree Collectors, Buymilsurp, ect. But the price and/or shipping might ruin it. I've seen some that there wasn't anything wrong with at all.

mountainman13 07-16-2013 08:18 PM

Sounds like you have a good handle on what you're looking at. If you find one in good shape or one you know you can fix, without breaking the bank, then go for it.

blitzen25cat 07-16-2013 08:22 PM

As far as the C&R license is concerned...I've had one for about 12 years now and they really do come in handy. The cost is $30 for 3 years. I always carry one in my wallet as you never know when you may come upon a c&r eligible firearm. I have mine on file with companies that sell c&r guns plus the local gunshops and pawn shops in the area.Easy to get and avoids the 4473 forms when c&r eligible. Regards Dick

zaitsev44 07-16-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
Sounds like you have a good handle on what you're looking at. If you find one in good shape or one you know you can fix, without breaking the bank, then go for it.

Like I said. $60 for the rifle, plus shipping and FFL (which shouldn't be more than $30 altogether). Plus anywhere from $5 to $30 in parts. So I'm looking at $120 at the most unless its a complete piece of rusty, gouged crap.

mountainman13 07-16-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaitsev44 (Post 1306190)

Like I said. $60 for the rifle, plus shipping and FFL (which shouldn't be more than $30 altogether). Plus anywhere from $5 to $30 in parts. So I'm looking at $120 at the most unless its a complete piece of rusty, gouged crap.

I payed more than that for my nagant and I ripped it apart and redid everything just for fun. I also payed $100 for an enfield that I never got to eject properly. If you enjoy doing the work it is worth it.

zaitsev44 07-16-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13

I payed more than that for my nagant and I ripped it apart and redid everything just for fun. I also payed $100 for an enfield that I never got to eject properly. If you enjoy doing the work it is worth it.

I love doing that kind of stuff. I'm gonna order one if my current deal doesn't work out.

sofatater 07-18-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaitsev44 (Post 1306190)
Like I said. $60 for the rifle, plus shipping and FFL (which shouldn't be more than $30 altogether). Plus anywhere from $5 to $30 in parts. So I'm looking at $120 at the most unless its a complete piece of rusty, gouged crap.

$120 is what I paid total including shipping for a type 53 from Bud's gun shop for one that was ready to shoot after cleanup. No fixin' needed. I have a C&R though. You really should get the C&R. ( I bought it from Bud's before I had my account set up with Century) I don't know what your local FFL charges for a transfer. In my area they get between $35 and $75 dollars.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.